Truck Died This AM

geno8769

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck died on the way to work this AM.

It seemed to be down on power a little and then it surged a couple of times.

After work I bought a filter, thinking that was it. Changed the filter, the old filter was only 1/2 full of fuel. primed the filter and cranked still no start or smoke.

Had my daughter crank while I held the schrader valve open. Got no fuel..

Checked my FTSV and I can here it switching and the tank levels change.

So everything I have read here on this wonderful site indicates to me that it is the lift pump or a block line between the FTSV and the lift pump?

Would this be fairly accurate?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
it would be safe to say your lift pump has given up on life

does your engine oil smell like diesel?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
How much fuel do You have still on the tank?
To make sure it is the feed pump, disconnect it from the main line and pull Your fuel from a jug of diesel and run the return back there too.
New pumps are cheap, there was a thread about this on this forum just a couple days ago explaining how the different types should be installed so the cam won't break the arm. Hope Your fuel pick up inside the tank are ok.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
good call i forgot about that..these trucks are known for what people call the "shower head" inside the tank. it is what picks up the fuel from the bottom of the tank. This piece is known to fall off/break off. If im not mistaken it will not pick up fuel less or around the 1/4 tank mark

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a mechanical lift pump go out on me. I had no warning whatsoever, it just died. And it was only a couple of months old. -cuss
This leads me to think your showerhead may be the culprit. What was the level of the fuel gauge when your truck started surging?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could also be the injection pump, but let's not go there unless you've ruled out all these less expensive options. Ford tanks with the "showerhead" factory pickup are not to be trusted below 1/4 of a tank.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful on installing a new lift pump. IIRC, you have to have the engine on TDC to make sure the arm on the pump is installed on the correct side of the pusher.