Truck advice - thinking about getting an IDI

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just as a further example, I recently picked this 1986 F250 SC 4x4 for $1300. It needs minor work from front to rear. But it's rust free and came with a ATS 093 aftermarket turbo already installed.
I also strongly suspect one of it's previous owners was a member here too

You must be registered for see images attach

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's advice. I've been looking and am finding a lot of superdutys for sale that are good prices and in good shape. I know the 83-97 trucks are very nostalgic and I really like the 87-97 trucks, but in regards to practicality, would you choose one of the older trucks or a newer one if price were no object? I think my fiancée would probably like a newer one, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would stay with older if it was me. But everyone likes different things.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 92 F-250 Regular Cab 2wd Long Bed IDI Custom and an 03 Excursion Eddie Bauer 4x4 6.0. I understand an apples to oranges comparison of a basic, bench seat, rubber floor truck to a decked out SUV....

But......

It depends on what you are going to do with the truck. Both of mine a capable of hauling and towing. If I am loading up the tractor (on the trailer), weed whacker, push mower and gas cans, I'll call on the IDI, I've used the Excursion numerous times for the same task, but throwing that stuff in the bed is nicer than the carpeted interior on the Excursion. However, if I was going to take the same tractor (IH Cub Cadet) to my Mom and Dad's to work on it, I would use the Excursion. The IDI would do the job, but the "Creature Comfort" difference between the 80-97 trucks snf the 99+ SuperDuty trucks is no comparison (My Excursion is basically an F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4).

Ride quality and "furnishing" comfort has no comparison, at least in my opinion.

For me.... A hard working, close to home truck, either will fit the bill nicely, both of mine do....
But, a run the highway across the country, I'd be doing that in a SuperDuty.......

This is just my opinion, and I've been around Ford cars, trucks and vans since the 70's. By far, my Excursion has been the best all around family vehicle, even better than the Conversion Vans we had from the 80's and 90's.......

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My idi has been very reliable, as for body style and a slight bit more "modern" I would want a 92-94 idi, simpler and cheaper than powerstroke but with the obs body style so aftermarket parts or more readily available

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's advice. I've been looking and am finding a lot of superdutys for sale that are good prices and in good shape. I know the 83-97 trucks are very nostalgic and I really like the 87-97 trucks, but in regards to practicality, would you choose one of the older trucks or a newer one if price were no object? I think my fiancée would probably like a newer one, haha.

If money was no object,most would likely just get a new one off the lot.I would.Since it is,there's no way in hell I could justify a diesel truck value of over 50k.No way in hell lol.
If money was no object,then you could buy a classic ride,have it completely customized how you want it and fixed up and restored at a shop,so you could have the reliability and classic styling....which imo is much better.I never liked how ford copied dodge back in '98 and I still don't like the look anymore today than I did back then but if money was no object,hard to say.The power is so good,the ride so much better,the interior so far superior.....if I were a multi millionaire,hard to say what I would run.Since money is an object,this is why I run old IDI trucks.I ain't driving them cus they're the best trucks on the road.Let's face it,they are long since outdated.They get the job done and since money is an object,the only thing in the end is how fat my wallet is come retirement.:D

The main thing to remember about buying an old IDI truck is this;
The engine is the least of your time,money,energy and concern.Even if it's blown and in need of replacement.It's fixing the old truck that's half rusted out and worn into the ground.We're talking 20-30 year old vehicles here now.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat I didnt mean to come across like I was saying a cummins swap isnt an excellent option because it is, youre taking one of the best diesel engines and putting it into one of the best chassis/body, not allot not to like about that. I was just thought it was funny to see on this forum
When I'm looking at idis I tend to prefer the 92+ trucks just because of the serpentine system and the better wiring you will get and like said before there alot more aftermarket available for those trucks.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woulda/Coulda/Shoulda - It has been said before but just think what the auto manufacturing landscape might look like had Ford hooked up with Cummins instead of International. And when the Cummins first appeared in the Dodge pickups, the IDI in the Ford was still the better setup.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I was told that at the time, Ford did own Cummins. Probably a smart business idea to sell the Cummins to the competetion while selling your own diesel trucks. A guy I know says that the Cummins is the only thing that saved Dodge and I agree for the most part. I just look at the number of times that Chrysler changed hands in just the last 20 years and I'm still not convinced that they've been completely saved.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ford NEVER owned Cummins.
But International/Navistar did cast some Cummins blocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
Ford owned a ~ 20 percent share. They used them in the F650s and F750s because of that.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ford owned a 10.8% share from 1990-1997. Cummins is a privately owned company..... by the Cummins Family I believe.... They are based out of Columbus, Indiana. It was an investment by Ford.... not an uncommon practice in big business.....

Ford uses Cummins as a vendor just like other companies.... just like they did the diesels from IH/Navistar.....

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
And that's why I don't listen too closely when someone "knows it all" anymore. Just like the guy who owned the shop I used to work for. He always told his employees how bad turbos are for these engines. Of course after reading about all of the positive things said here about turbos I no longer believe that either. My opinion of why he said that is because he used to buy the headers and exhaust systems and resell them at a HEALTHY markup. So naturally he would badmouth turbos. I can't remember now, but he could have even been the one who said the Ford owning Cummins "fact".

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
Sorry for the incorrect percentage. I guess that's what I get for trusting my memory! If you want another popular myth crushed, here goes - stripping the sulfur out of diesel didn't make diesel less energy dense or have less lubricity all alone. The sulfur strippers at refineries tend to remove a lot of the paraffins and other byproducts of diesel refining. The paraffins are a wax and act as a fuel. Refineries strip those out almost entirely to make #1 diesel, which is why you get less mileage and how it becomes less prone to gelling.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes, from the impression I am getting by your posts, I have some advice.

I do not like 12 valve cummins trucks. The 12 valve motor in stock form is not my kind of motor. They have problems they should not have, think death pin, and cracked cylinder heads. I am not sure if the cracked cylinder head stuff is over the internet, but I know a close friend who had cylinder head woes. I also find because they are 'popular' parts pricing is not where it should be. Anyone every price a p-pump out, wow, just wow. I also know the nv4500 may not be terribly strong.

Now, moving on, my vehicle recommendation to you, based on what I am getting off your posts, I would recommend, a superduty with a gas motor. I think a 05 to 07 year range will be your sweet spot. The benefit of the torqueshift over the e4 in the gas motor is worth the extra money they may command over the 99-04 super duty trucks. I don't have to get in depth with the choice, but people here will understand. A mod 5.4 has its problems, but its relatively proven, and does its job.

A runner up choice for me to recommend to you would be a hemi powered dodge 2/3500 single wheel truck, all the things that make me recommend the super duty apply to this truck as well.

Third runner up, Chevy 2500/3500 with an small block. This only gets pushed behind the dodge because I dont like there IFS. If these had solid front, it would be a way better choice, but they also have there funky issues to.

I don't recommend diesels anymore, as I think they are only worth it if super heavy loads are hooked to your truck or if you run it for a living. You telling me 'occasional' hauling, these gassers will suffice. Diesels newer then 07, I would throw them ALL away. Its to nuts. I also am not a fan of how much they cost in new trucks. Why would I add $10,000 to my sticker price for something that will cost me MORE to run and maintain?