Truck advice - thinking about getting an IDI

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
Hey, everyone,

This thread is about an internal debate I've been having about whether or not I should sell my current truck and get something a little bigger. I currently have a 1998 dodge 2500 with a 12 valve and an NV4500. I love this truck and it has been as reliable as they come save a couple issues from the knuclehead who owned it before me... It's an extended cab and is fine for my family at the moment. It's just my fiancée and I and our two dogs; however, I worry about it being too small down the road as our family grows. I use it for occasional towing and hauling things around, but I want something dependable enough to be a daily driver like mine has been.

I would like a crew cab and I have some experience with IDIs. I've been on several forums and have read a lot about them. It seems like it's hard to find a clean crew cab though, especially IDIs. There seem to be more powerstrokes and gasser fords in better shape around here. I'm not too much of a brand loyalist, so I'm asking if any of you can give somewhat unbiased opinions as to what you would do in my shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without your location, kinda hard to give advice on where to find what your looking for. Some travel long distance to purchase one, even fly into a location.

I.d sell this one.

You must be registered for see images attach

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I slip on my bullet proof vest, I'll offer the following advice. Buy a crewcab F350 gasser in any vintage you prefer, then swap in your cummins stuff. There's lots of trees around here and yes, I'm hiding behind one!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I slip on my bullet proof vest, I'll offer the following advice. Buy a crewcab F350 gasser in any vintage you prefer, then swap in your cummins stuff. There's lots of trees around here and yes, I'm hiding behind one!
imho, you're spot-on with that advice. no need to hide from a copper jacketed lead rain. :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Several members have done the cummins swap and they love it. Darrin Tosh from Mich.did this even fabricated a special flex plate so he could use the C6. Sure its plenty of work converting the engines but it really is a good swap.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol asks about buying an idi gets told to do a cummins swap LOL

Zero where are you located? typically craglist is pretty good but ever since I've discovered it Ive only used search tempest. Just put in your zip code and the radius you want to search and then your search parameters and it does all the hard work for you. I usually search "ford diesel" and limit the maximum year to 1994. http://www.searchtempest.com/

Good luck in your search!

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
I live in Wyoming, so it's not as easy to find trucks without some sort of rust. It also gets really cold here in winter and my truck always starts even after I advanced the timing a bit. I know all automakers uses pretty cheap paint back then. The issue I have with my truck is it's the last year the 12 valve was made, so it's worth quite a bit more than your average second gen dodge. That's another reason I'm thinking about selling it. It's worth more relatively unmolested and I don't want to do too much to it. I know an IDI can't match a cummins for long term reliability. My plan if I switched rigs would be to run the IDI with some upgrades until (if) it dies, and do a cummins or DT390 swap. I had an 86 2wd F350 crew cab and really liked it the truck despite the engine and wiring being basket cases.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know an IDI can't match a cummins for long term reliability. My plan if I switched rigs would be to run the IDI with some upgrades until (if) it dies, and do a cummins or DT390 swap.
I think you'll be surprised at the reliability overall. I've found several 'problem' IDIs and got them running just fine again with a good set of glow plugs and timing.

What tends to happen is that people aren't too knowledgeable about the glow plugs(which are finicky) and the fuel system(which wears and becomes retarded over time) and assume that the motor is failing, when it's just a bit of adjustment and *maby* $80 for new glow plugs.

As for upgrades, find or install a turbo, then put in a good R&D IP - 90CCs or 110CCs. If you go with the 110, get some head studs for added protection(though I'm running mine without), and you'll have a /very/ solid truck that will outrun your cummins easily.

I'm getting 250 at the wheels(so like 310-320 at the crank) with just a factory turbo and 110CC IP setup on it... and it really shows when pulling a good sized load up hill.
I recall hauling another 6600lb IDI home on a flatbed, so I was probably grossing ~15.5K overall, and I was going 75 on the freeway and keeping up with traffic on smaller 60mph roads up hills and such.

So far, the only IDI I've blown was one that I had (improperly?)rebuilt the year before, and was giving me ticking noises for months. Pretty sure that had something to do with it...

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
I've followed Justin's build and am aware of the upgradeabilty from stock. I don't know about out running my truck. I've got it tuned very conservatively and it's probably putting out 300-350 at the wheels. I've got a stock turbo off an 04-06 on it at the moment and it's a far cry from my old turbo... Sorry, I don't want to detail this into a performance debate. I respect these engines and know they are reliable. I've never heard of an IDI going over one million miles though. I'm all ears if there are some! If the I do get an IDI and it lasts than I'll be happy. It just seems like IDIs aren't taken care of as well as gassers or power strokes around here.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
im just gonna leave a picture of the family hauler I built....

use the pull-out method, or youll be in my shoes in no time...

You must be registered for see images attach
I just got me nuts snipped 2 months ago:kick:

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would keep the 12valve IMO. I had one til it got wrecked by some drunk guy. Then I bought an idi. Ive put a lot of money into mine because some ******* owned it before and ruined a lot of stuff. But it's been super reliable since I have fixed all the problems. I liked both I would have both if I had the room.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in New York. 5 year old trucks start losing their wheel wells and cab corners around here.

I bought a truck in Texas and drove it back. OMG SO much better shape than ANYTHING around here. My 91 is far from mint. It might be a little rough for a Texas truck but other than the "clear coat patina" it's in far better shape than my 97 and the only rust is a couple small spots where a rock chipped the paint.

I even replaced the brake hoses without having to replace the hard lines! Impossible around here!

Don't be afraid to drive to get what you want. I will do it again next time I'm looking for a truck!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol asks about buying an idi gets told to do a cummins swap LOL
I need to detail why I support a Cummins swap into a Ford body.
one. he already owns a dodge with a Cummins and is aware if it's advantages and shortcomings.
two. he's much better off finding and traveling to get a good used ford body gasser or diesel and swapping over the Cummins.
three. he's owned both and is aware if their advantages and shortcomings. neither are perfect, both are very reliable when maintained, the IDI tends to cost less in parts when something breaks, but the Cummins wins as the mild HP builder and for fuel economy.
In my area, the IDI is still relatively plentiful with solid bodies and can be picked up for far less than a dodge with a Cummins. therefore, an IDI makes sense for me. he's not in the same situation. if he wants a solid body, he is going to have to travel. Ford bodies tend to last longer than Dodge. Therefore, if he has a choice and the money, traveling to bring back a good body makes sense for him to swap in the motor he already owns.
Just for the record, I own all three makes. I talk about my Fords the most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online