Trouble fueling up because of flatbed

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
My 91 has this issue as well. Back tank was always difficult, got worse w the flatbed.
If you study how the tanks are vented you will see that is the key. Once the 15 gallons of air that is displaced in filling the tank has a place to go the flat filler fine will be little concern. Need a 5/8 is hose from current tiny vent spot running back to the filler neck just below the cap so the air can get out without carrying fuel back with it.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pipe inside the pipe the factory had in the filler hose was for venting purposes. Of course we all know that did not work very well, even in the stock position. Take that small hose out of the large pipe and filling gets even worse.

The small vent in the top of the tank was for venting while the engine is using fuel out of the tank. I popped my roll-over valve out and put a larger hose on it, and filling speed is vastly improved.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pipe inside the pipe the factory had in the filler hose was for venting purposes. Of course we all know that did not work very well, even in the stock position. Take that small hose out of the large pipe and filling gets even worse.

The small vent in the top of the tank was for venting while the engine is using fuel out of the tank. I popped my roll-over valve out and put a larger hose on it, and filling speed is vastly improved.

This fixes 99% of fueling issues. 3/4" npt pipe fitting will shove nicely into the grommet the factory check ball breather goes into that doesn't let any air out. I jb welded around mine anyways after shoving it in there. Then just run fuel hose from the top of the fitting up a distance under the frame. Don't put the end near your exhaust, because you now don't have a check valve and the line is roughly the same height as the top of the filler neck. I gotta slow up filling my tanks now cause if I don't, I get a quick spray out of the top of the rubber hose under the frame when the tank is truly "full".

You also lose the check valve meaning if the truck ever flips over, all of the fuel is coming out of that hose. I routed both of my hoses to the drivers side rear of the frame so its as far away from the cab and the exhaust as possible should the truck ever flip. I may still try to put some sort of check valve on this.

rickricca

Reaction score
When I fuel up I have issues with for spilling out the filling port. The filler hose runs across the top of a toolbox and is about 30" long before it takes a 90 degree turn into the tank. Undoubtedly, the long flat run of filler hose is the culprit but there is no way to route it differently or give it any angle. I've talked to a couple of people who have ran into issues lot these on flatbeds. Is there any kind of check valve or backflow preventer that will make filling up easier? Currently I just have to pump really slow.

rickricca

Reaction score
Same issue with my utility bed. If I drive the left rear wheel up on a ramp, it fuels great

Jasonmusic220

Reaction score
Yeah I ended up going through the bed. It wasn't my first choice, but I really didn't like having to drive up a ramp to fill up every time, lol. When I bought the truck my wife made it clear she would never ride with me if I ever had to stop and fill it, haha!

You must be registered for see images attach

Jasonmusic220

Reaction score
Yes sir it is! I was standing there by the truck thinking "what would work good for holding those filler necks" and the thought struck me....horse shoes!

Jasonmusic220

Reaction score
I've had this setup for about two years now. You definitely have to plan ahead as far as loads in the bed and fuel stops go, but it hasn't been an issue at all so far.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i cant believe no one tagged me... totally insulted LOL;Poke.

i have one picture you can see the latch and the door. i dont have the truck with me today so i cant get any better pictures. i can go full speed with the normal small filler. and yes i do use the truck and yes you do have to plan ahead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online