Transmissions for IDI Engine Build

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I have a spare IDI that I want to build into a 400/800 kinda engine, I already know what I have to do for that.... This is where my problem comes into play, what do I do about a transmission? I know that a ZF 5 SPD won't take that for very long... What are my options? The only thing that comes to mind is a custom bell housing/flywheel into a more modern transmission or one that can handle the torque. I know a few of the 6.4L Powerstrokes have a 6 SPD Manual....

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
NP435? Never broke one of them and put plenty of power through them. If you want overdrive the NV4500 is supposed to be pretty stout after a few fixes/updates. Every ZF5 failure I've had has been a case type of failure. They did make iron case ZFs I believe available in South America, maybe an option.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a spare IDI that I want to build into a 400/800 kinda engine, I already know what I have to do for that....

:confused:. I personally do not think this is doable but I will be optimistic. Please share how you plan on doing this. I have a 6.7 that makes those numbers and do not think the idi would ever be able to make that kind of power in a reliable manner. But I have to admit, that would be awesome to see someone do it to one of these old engines.
As far as transmissions, I am not sure. I know a C6 could be built up to handle that kind of power but they are not overdrive units.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doable? Probably. I've seen numbers pretty close to that on another forum. Sane? Well, I'm not one to judge there. [emoji6]

As far as transmissions go, a t18 or t19 are pretty tough. They put them in dump trucks etc. I would think a zf 5 would hold up pretty well if you don't thrash it. I think the zf6's are a little stouter but less bolt in. But hey if you are building a 400 hp idi, putting a zf6 in should be no problem.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
It is plenty possible. Just takes time a money, the block would need to be new and sleeved, protected from cavitation from the start. Heavy duty bed plate, re-designed cams so allow for a better timing windows and opening. The fuel pump would need to be about 180 CC's need an intercooler, larger turbo than what we all have, this all ties back into the APR head studs and gaskets. I have the time and the money since I will be over time haha! The transmission is the only thing... I think the ZF 6 would work really well.... Just need a bell housing made and probably a flywheel..... Still looking into it for the ZF6. This project isn't going to be started until I know what will handle that about of power.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A BTS e4od would handle that power. He guarantees them for any power rating you can throw at it. Are they 4 grand? Yes, and likely worth it.

I have heard stories of him giving a free rebuild to a years old drag truck transmission, just so he could see what broke.

It would be easy to bolt in too....

http://www.brianstruckshop.com

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Well, this is a several year build so... I prefer manuals but it all depends one what I wanna do. haha.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
C6 would be my first choice. Here's some Pros and Cons
Pros..

Just about bullet proof.
They can handle any HP(as long as there built accordingly to your application)
Tons of aftermarket support.
List goes on.

Cons..
It's only a 3 Speed.
No overdrive(can be solved with a overdrive unit)
Poor Fuel mileage.

Sure I left some stuff out but you get the point.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your first step in this process would be getting a DD214 *****

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
your first step in this process would be getting a DD214 *****

I get my DD214 in 6 months, then I'll be living the life as a railroader :D

And......

I know about the C6's, I WILL NEVER OWN ONE AGAIN!!!!!!! I'm gonna probably go with the ZF 6 if it checks out. If not... Then a BTS E4OD it is....

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C6 would be my first choice. Here's some Pros and Cons
Pros..

Just about bullet proof.
They can handle any HP(as long as there built accordingly to your application)
Tons of aftermarket support.
List goes on.

Cons..
It's only a 3 Speed.
No overdrive(can be solved with a overdrive unit)
Poor Fuel mileage.

Sure I left some stuff out but you get the point.

the c6 was updated to resolve those issues into the E40D/4R100.they can be built stronger than any idi could ever hand it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C6_transmission

there are still original E40D's on the road 20 plus years latter without a reman yet.log truck is one.though her pump crapped the bed,she's still ticking! (knock on wood.)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have a BTS and its heaven over the stock E4OD trans. Sure it was expensive but. I wont need another one thats for sure. I added a Gear Vendors behind that. so you can do the math on what I have in just my trans alone. its ludacris thinking that much money in invested in the trans and od but its what I wanted and did so thats that..... You might investigate what R&D is doing too. They make some nice hp and parts over there.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
R&D is who I have been talking to, gonna buy his cams, bedplate, studs, main studs, and fuel pump when the time is right as well as the Turbo! This is why the block must be in EXCELLENT shape and sleeved haha. Gonna be a wicked IDI!

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vote for the bts e4od...a auto pulls continuously where the stick will not....a auto trans and turbo go together like peanut butter and jelly....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online