Transmission just quit

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My transmission just quit on me on sunday. I was towing my boat back from the lake. Stopped at a stop light on a pretty steep grade, pulled away from the light just fine, topped the hill and the damn thing just quit pulling.
I had a reputable tranny shop here locally tow it in and should know more today or tommorow. He said that it sounded like the torque converter gave out, but will not know for sure until they pull it out.
In the mean time I had to borrow a friends truck in order to go to work. Atleast it is a Ford. A 2000 F450 with the Triton V10 and a 5 speed. Hope they get my tranny fixed quick I don't think I can afford to feed the V10 for long.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm... the E4OD strikes again eh? Sorry to hear it. Were you regular with your maintanance?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
ooo that sucks... I ask the same question as Mel but also add did you have ample cooling? As in extra cooler(s) besides just the factory cooler in the bottom of the rad?

I beat the wholey snicklefitz out of mine and never had a problem from the E4OD - I flew by the rule of "a clean, cool and changed often fluid is a happy fluid" - Don't know if that made a big difference or not - I might have just been lucky (but the engines on the other hand say I was not lucky)...

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
argve said:
ooo that sucks... I ask the same question as Mel but also add did you have ample cooling? As in extra cooler(s) besides just the factory cooler in the bottom of the rad?

I beat the wholey snicklefitz out of mine and never had a problem from the E4OD - I flew by the rule of "a clean, cool and changed often fluid is a happy fluid" - Don't know if that made a big difference or not - I might have just been lucky (but the engines on the other hand say I was not lucky)...

Yes the maintence was up to date filter an fluid less than 2000 miles ago. Factory filter no auxilary filter setup. And yes it has additional cooling I installed a Hayden model 679 H.D. stacked plate cooler 3 days after I purchased the truck back in 2002.

Went through all the trouble with the Chevy I had before this truck with the automatic transmission learned my lessons the hard way there so I knew better when I bought this one. I blew that one up and the trans tech told me it had been over heated so when he rebuilt it he installed a HD cooler. 2 months later it blew up again, he rebuilt it under the warranty and put a bigger cooler on it, 5 months later it blew up again He claimed it had to have a manufacturers defect in the tranny case to keep having problems like that so he credited me everything towards a Jasper built TH400 and installed it for free.9 months later it shattered the flexplate and I was just sick of screwing with it so I bought this truck.

And needless to say even though that guy stood by his work and made everything good in the end this truck did not go to his shop. I need it done right the first time

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man, that's a drag Dalvaras.

But he sure did treat you right. And as far as having it right 'the first time', I see that the Jasper reman broke too! So perhaps the guy did do the work right...and there is some other weird issue causing repeated failures.

By the way, I have an E4OD available; in an '89 F250 2WD 7.3 with only 85K miles. Truck rolled into a ditch. Not sure if yours is a 2wd or 4wd, but if you're interested, give me a call.

Richard
541-944-9746

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tranny update

The transmission guy said that when he pulled the converter pieces of it fell out all over the floor. He also found little pieces here and there through out the tranny and the stock cooler was almost plugged. He recomended replaceing the stock cooler with an additional auxilary cooler, replace/upgrade torque converter, rebuild transmission with all updates and upgrades available.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle