transfer case ?

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
in my local pick and pull yard, i have been pulling numerous parts off of a full size bronco, primarily since its the same color as my truck, that saves on paint work and the interior is the same color for trim pieces etc... well my question is, since i broke my transfer case linkage where the linkage bolts to the tranny, i was wondering if i could scrap that and get a electronic shifting transfer case out of the bronco since its the same year and they both use the 1356 BW, i am not sure if the wiring is behind the dash or under the truck for that option for that matter, all the toyotas that i have had have always been wired for every option from the factory, so its plug and play. i dont know if ford is the same way. i have never heard any complaints about the electric shift transfer case, only the auto hubs, which my truck does not have. i just thought i would ask your opinions, i did some searching and came up with nothing thus far. thanks guys!!

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
I doubt that your truck will have the "plug & play" harness, but you can "mickey mouse" a switch in somewhere. You'd be MUCH better off just shipping that transfer to me;Sweet . cookoo OkieGringo

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the computer for the motor should be in the back on I think the driver side...its a stand alone unit..but a HUGE pain in the neck...you have to hook the neutral safety and switches from the transmission to it for it to work...and figur out which is power and what is ground...

the electric motors are NOTORIOUS for failing when you need them most...

why not just fix your shifter...or make something like a solid bar with a double shive bracket...my sploder is setup like that...down for 4x4 and 4x4 low..pull up for 2wd..

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
went to winchester ford today, the part to fix my shifter is $260 and some change :eek: so i guess i will be saving up more moneys :-( and i could use an IP cause mine is starting to weep fuel all out across the valley pan bad :mad:

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what exactly broke??

you can probably get another manual transfer case for less than $100 and have spare parts...just need to know if its a fixed or slip yoke on the rear output..

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
the lower part of the shifter that bolts onto the transmission and hooks to linkage going along transmission that goes to transfer. it has a shock thing on it to allow the shifter to be pushed down to go into low range. thats why it is $$. apparently they brake often, cause the ford garage always has 2 on hand

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could you make your own shifter? or find one in a yard...heck...I might even HAVE one layin around...dunno...(gotta go on a treasure hunt in my junk pile)

I made the one for my explorer...(it has a double reduction box..and I needed a shifter)

its the red part in the picture...the tab sticking out of the transfer case is the stock arm just indexed up further..(unbolt and move)

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

dang..cant find the other picture...it must be at home...

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
and i could use an IP cause mine is starting to weep fuel all out across the valley pan bad :mad:

The leaking IP could be due to a bad rubber gasket behind the 'fuel screw turn-up port(triangualr plate)'. I'd hate to see ya spend big bucks on an IP for a bad gasket. cookoo OkieGringo

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the lower part of the shifter that bolts onto the transmission and hooks to linkage going along transmission that goes to transfer. it has a shock thing on it to allow the shifter to be pushed down to go into low range. thats why it is $$. apparently they brake often, cause the ford garage always has 2 on hand

DUDE! I have one of those! I couldn't use it when I did my ZF swap without cutting a new hole in my floor - which I didn't want to do.

Send me a PM, maybe we can work something out....

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
cheeper jeeper,
i am not sure but i dont think the linkage that bolts to a C-6 tranny for the transfer case is the same as the linkage that bolts onto the E40D tranny which i have, today i will search around for a picture of what it looks like so i can post up here.

okiegringo,
i will check out the fuel turn-up port gasket, the reason i think the IP is going south is because 1) i dont know how long the IP has been on there over the last 260k miles. 2) the truck is developing a miss, i checked all injectors, which are all new, and lines for leaks, have found none yet, cracked them all to try to narrow down a cyl, runs the same on all of them. at a idle i get a good bit of whitish smoke. as i am driving up a mtn, which i do every day to get to town / work and back i can watch it puff out black smoke in puffs, kinda like there is a miss to it. i guess it hasnt gotten bad enough since i still drive it some and pull trailers with it still.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cheeper jeeper,
i am not sure but i dont think the linkage that bolts to a C-6 tranny for the transfer case is the same as the linkage that bolts onto the E40D tranny which i have, today i will search around for a picture of what it looks like so i can post up here....

I'll bet you're right. But the one that came off my T-19 is the one I ended up using.

The one I ended up having "left over" came off the ZF5-47 I just put in. It came out of a 92 or 93....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online