Trans temp and pressure

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen thread after thread over putting a trans temp sensor/gauge on the test port of an auto trans. (Yes, I am aware of the different opinions on test port vs pan/cooler line locations)
What I can't find anywhere is someone putting a permenant pressure gauge here. That is what it is there for. Why would no one want to watch their trans fluid pressure?
I am thinking about the possibilities of placing a temp AND pressure sensor off the test port so I can watch both.

Any thoughts? Anyone running trans pressure?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That truck was a c6 if I remember right? I actually have seen some drag guys run pressure gauges off the test port for the c6, they used just a conventional oil pressure gauge

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a c6. Cool.

Thoughts on pressure and temp? Think it would be inaccurate having to extend it out off the test port and run a T for the sensors?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best idea I came across was using the outlet to the cooler and building a chamber for a temperature probe right at that location. That way, you measure the hottest part of the fluid circuit and changes in temperature are quick to appear on your instrumentation.

I like the idea of a trans temp gauge but I don't load my truck heavy enough to justify the time it would take to do it right. I run an E4OD with an aftermarket controller, so I can actually read temperature right at the valve body RTD sensor. It was consistently about 10F hotter than an IR gun aimed at the pan. Other then that, the hottest I ever saw it was 170F, which is actually a touch on the low side of ideal.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts? Anyone running trans pressure?

I have long had a pressure gauge on the left hand test port. It was useful when trying to correlate with a harsh 1-2 shift.

I have an early Baumann controller which reads out nothing - the current ones read out a bunch of stuff. I have a duplicate of the water temp sensor in the trans pan and a two way switch to the stock temp gauge. I switch to trans temp on a long, hard hill.

I also have LEDs on all the solenoids.

If you intend to keep a truck it is worth telling the computer the vehicle has a standard transmission and getting a Baumann.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have long had a pressure gauge on the left hand test port. It was useful when trying to correlate with a harsh 1-2 shift.

I have an early Baumann controller which reads out nothing - the current ones read out a bunch of stuff. I have a duplicate of the water temp sensor in the trans pan and a two way switch to the stock temp gauge. I switch to trans temp on a long, hard hill.

I also have LEDs on all the solenoids.

If you intend to keep a truck it is worth telling the computer the vehicle has a standard transmission and getting a Baumann.
He has a c6. No computer

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, yeah. I love that the wipers are probably the most complex piece of electronics on this truck. Haha.

Think I can get accurate readings if I put a very short nipple off the test port, then a T on that with pressure sensor on one and thermo sensor on the other?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would try that for the time being and compare your temps to what you read with a temp gun on the oil pan, if it’s within 15* I’d say you’re getting enough flow to get a decent reading. If not then I’d out it in the cooler line