Trans Question

slam1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tranny let go today! Am I stuck with the C-6 or will another tranny bolt up?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go with an E4OD or a ZF5 speed if you want a bolt on, zero slip transmission. How much you want to spend?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the E4OD, you'll need a computer to tell it what to do and the wiring that goes with it. You must use a diesel specific tranny as the bellhousings are different between gasseres and diesels.

Your options are:
T19 four speed manual (tough as nails, but not overdrive).
ZF5 five speed manual (aluminum case, but has overdrive).
C6 three speed auto (no overdrive, but simple and can be build very strong).
E4OD four speed auto (overdrive, but electronic and has a rep of having a short life span).

Personally, I'd stick a manual in there as I just perfer them. But, the C6 will be simple to rebuild and there are tons of "heavy duty" parts for them, and there is not computer to deal with.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you'll have to pay for your truck now. LOL

If you want an automatic, you can get a good E4OD for it, but it has to come from Brians truck stop or one of those other legendary automatic trans builders with a spotless reputation. I love the C6, but the lack of overdrive kills your milage unless you mate it with a Gear Vendors unit. Just for comparison, my son is getting almost 25 MPG consistently with the Night Moose, while the Moosestang gets 10 MPG less than that, and both trucks are on the same frame. Granted the Moosestang is heavier (4WD, and a Bronco), but on flat highway driving that few hundred pound weight difference is minimal. I turn 2500 RPM to do 55 MPH. He turns 1800 with his ZF-5.

slam1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you'll have to pay for your truck now. LOL

Oh believe me, if you've read any of my posts i've paid. All in all I would have difficulty getting rid of it so I am trying to find ways to make it more practical. Sounds like a C-6 rebuild. I might try this myself. Any input?
Thanks for the other advice as well. I can always depend on good advice from you all on this site.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any input?

Do it.

Here is an online PDF manual for the C6 that should help:

http://www.garagenet.biz/c6-auto.pdf

Read through that and see if you think you could do it.

The C6 is a relatively simple transmission and can be done at home if all you do is take your time and have clean working conditions. Most of the work will be inspecting the internals for where the failure started and how to correct that so it doesn't happen again.

slam1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do it.

Here is an online PDF manual for the C6 that should help:

http://www.garagenet.biz/c6-auto.pdf

Read through that and see if you think you could do it.

The C6 is a relatively simple transmission and can be done at home if all you do is take your time and have clean working conditions. Most of the work will be inspecting the internals for where the failure started and how to correct that so it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for the info (VERY HELPFUL). I think I'm going to try it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828