tranny problem

wyldhillbillie

Reaction score
I have about 7000 mi. on a rebuilt auto.my problem is it feels like the torque converter is locking up the minute I put it in reverse. feels like when you let the clutch out on a standard. driving me CRAZY!!! cookoo the tranny is out of warranty. what controls the torque converter to lock up? is the converter junk?:puke: any ideas where to start would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks:hail

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Is the fluid level good. Low fluid will cause this. If the fluid level is full. You have internal issues (leaking seal) or the converter is bad.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More info needed. Assume it's a E4OD, is that correct?

When was tranny the rebuilt?
Did they do the updates?
Explain why it feels like the TC locks up.
Does it NOT move right away in reverse, then jerks into reverse?
Will it do that when only while idleing?
Is it a harsh shift into reverse with the brakes applied?
Do you have to give it some pedal to make it do that?
Does it shift normal going forward 1-2-3-OD when hot ?

wyldhillbillie

Reaction score
More info needed. Assume it's a E4OD, is that correct?

When was tranny the rebuilt?
Did they do the updates?
Explain why it feels like the TC locks up.
Does it NOT move right away in reverse, then jerks into reverse?
Will it do that when only while idleing?
Is it a harsh shift into reverse with the brakes applied?
Do you have to give it some pedal to make it do that?
Does it shift normal going forward 1-2-3-OD when hot ?

tranny was rebuilt last febuary. they said they did all the updates but who knows.when i put it in reverse it immediatly takes off, no clutching effect.if i hold it with the brakes it boggs the truck down to the point it almost stalls. After forty seconds or so it sometimes lets off and acts normal. this happens after it warms up. it's not a hard shift when it goes into reverse. shifts beautiful through all gears, fuild is bright red, not burnt.:dunno

li'l tugger

Reaction score
maybe the clutches are a little too thick? sounds like it is trying to ride the clutch in reverse, but there is too much meat there. :dunno but then.. i know squat about trannys.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
tranny was rebuilt last febuary. they said they did all the updates but who knows.when i put it in reverse it immediatly takes off, no clutching effect.if i hold it with the brakes it boggs the truck down to the point it almost stalls. After forty seconds or so it sometimes lets off and acts normal. this happens after it warms up. it's not a hard shift when it goes into reverse. shifts beautiful through all gears, fuild is bright red, not burnt.:dunno

You have an internal leak. When the tranny gets hot the fluid is leaking into the lock up circuit. Best thing to do is talk to your tranny rebuilder.