trailer harness

sootman73

Reaction score
is there a place i can buy an all new trailer wirnig harness? the part that plugs into the harness for the lights and goes to the trailer connector on the truck? mine has a short in it and some pretty messed up wires and it blows a fuse immediately. i just want a new one as i've had all kinds of trouble with that stupid thing. anyone know where and how much one costs? preferably one with the seven round all ready wired up and sealed that i can just bolt on and plug in?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't find one pre-wired for a 7 blade or a 6 blade, since they have brake wiring besides the light wires. The only pre-wired plug and play unit you will find is one like in this link with a 4 wire plug, because it only has the lights, no brakes, battery charge power, reverse lights, etc that a 7 blade has.
http://www.etrailer.com/t1-1994_Ford_F-250+and+F-350.htm

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That dont sound factory. Your trailer harness plugs into a connector on the driverside fenderwell under the hood and runs along the frame to the plug in the back. Your truck lights dont operate the trailer lights, they have there own dedicated circut.
But if your looking to replace the adapter I think I have one you can have.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Ben,

My 93 had the other ends of those two connectors on it. Nobody that I asked, knew what I was talking about and some said that those connectors were for something other than a trailer.

I ended up cutting the connectors off and connecting new wire to them. The new wire goes to the 7-way plug that I installed.

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advanced auto parts , Autozone , Uhaul , Napa every parts store should have them under the help section ..

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advanced auto parts , Autozone , Uhaul , Napa every parts store should have them under the help section ..

I challenge you to find one for these old trucks. They may have had them at one time, but I can't find anyone who carries them like that. What surprised me is Advance auto did carry one for a 99 or so explorer. The explorer had the tow package, and their wiring harness plugged right in the factory plug the explorer had, and came out with a 4 wire connector for the trailer.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
lmc truck
part #49-4192 wiring harness t-connect
makes a 4-wire flat connector

don't know where you could find a 7 wire setup

oreilly's and napa both carry them

stealership may be able to order one even (but I doubt it)

sootman73

Reaction score
i guess i'll go talk to the electrical guy at work and see what he can do for me. i'm sure he could find me connectors that would work. i saw the little pins that insert into the plugs at work the other day....

thanks guys for your help.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
My truck had one of the old style 6-pin connectors. I got an adapter from my cousin to go from the 6 pin to the 4 blade but the 4 blade only works for the lights on a small trailer or brake actuated. I got from auto zone something like this

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...+vehicle+to+trailer+adapter&brandName=Hopkins

and a spool of blue, black and white 10 gauge wire and just completely rewired it. Your truck may be different because i have the reading utility body