Traction tires for my dually?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
After burying my dually in the mud out back for a few weeks a couple of months back, I've been contemplating some options for the problem.

If I were to go with some traction type tires on the rear, stock size 235/85 16 :
A) would it gain me much of anything, with /without the 5er attached ?

B) would it completely screw my fuel mileage , and about how bad or do these things even care?

C) any brand/model preferences in the low price category?

D) anyone ever try the el cheapo pep boys tires like their Dakota AT with a 50k mile waranty or Dakota MT with a 40k mile waranty? ( what can I say, poor boy's got poor ways :D

E) before anyone says to go get the Michelins etc, save the keystrokes, Haven't got $700-900 laying around for tires. If the co-op still carried the $65 rags I'd be grabbing a set of those.

Thanks----------Robert

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More agressive tread will give poorer mileage. But it beats getting stuck.

I had a dooley with a set of tires with tread ripped off from the BFG Mud Terrain T/A and they seemed good in the soft stuff.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep I ran mud tread on the E way back in the day and it helps - when I stopped getting off the improved surface then I just stuck with highway tread.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a mud type tire and didnt notice any differance in mileage. Definately better traction, now all i need is a locker.
The Herculese tires I'm running were about 60-80 each and I've gotten 2 years outta them so far.... About every 2 years I get tires, I'm ******* them.:D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An option if you run the 4 hole steel rims is to keep a few lengths of chain and some bolts or padlocks. Chain only needs to be long enough to pass through the holes and wrap around the tire, can keep them long enough to wrap both tires if you like.

This will give you the bite you need if stuck (unless you bury it too bad) and you can still run highway tires.

Got myself out of a jam like this many times trailer truckin'.

Another option is to get regular tire chains and put them on first if you know you're going into muck. They're a PITA to put on and off and even worse if it's already stuck.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I have been thinking about this for a bit also. I have BFG Commercial TA on my truck. They wear like rocks (3 years now) but suck big time on anything but paved surface. Sunday I was headed to the MIL and the tool box opened. No big deal, pull over into a field far enough to safely get out. I thought I hit a freakin wall! The truck went from 20 to 0 in about 20 feet and promptly sunk almost to the running boards. ***? Little did I know the field was flooded. Lucky for me a trucker drove by and then backed up.cookoo He had two tow chains and pulled me right out. I gave him the only cash I had - $20 and considered it a bargain.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have rough tread all the way around on my truck. I haven't noticed bad mileage, keeping in mind I have 4.10's but don't do much highway driving. Definetely goes better, I had street tread prior and I USE 4wd quite regularly as I use my truck as much for farm and hunting club work, sometimes miles from the road and have had good luck. Would love to put a PowerTrax or something along those lines in mine as well. Nothing like watching two new mud tires spin at idle while the other two just sit still on solid ground!!! :)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have rough tread all the way around on my truck. I haven't noticed bad mileage, keeping in mind I have 4.10's but don't do much highway driving. Definetely goes better, I had street tread prior and I USE 4wd quite regularly as I use my truck as much for farm and hunting club work, sometimes miles from the road and have had good luck. Would love to put a PowerTrax or something along those lines in mine as well. Nothing like watching two new mud tires spin at idle while the other two just sit still on solid ground!!! :)

Yeah, I've got 4:10s too. Not much chance of me getting fabulous fuel mileage anyway.
Next time I get to feeling rich, a locking diff is going in. I have an Eaton locker on my Volvo 940 turbo sedan ( factory equipment ;Sweet with a set of snow tires on it, that car is unstopable. I'd love for my truck to track like that. That dang dually gets scared and starts chasing it's tail if it even sees mud .
First I have to recover all the expense of a fresh engine and turbo :eek:

----------Robert

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After burying my dually in the mud out back for a few weeks a couple of months back, I've been contemplating some options for the problem.
Thanks----------Robert

Simple.... TSL boggers for Mud....

I personally run Pro Comp Xterains which thus far are ass kicking tires in mud and snow. At this time I have 31 10.50 .15 and they have been siped for snow and wet weather. The next step is 38.5x 14.50 x 16. floatation is the key unless you got HP not TQ its all about wheel speed in mud!

As far as I am concerned they are not overly noisy compared to Boggers, Radials not Bias ply and yes...I have suffered for mileage but not for traction since the switch to them.

Would I change....NO not unless there was a specific reason to do so. I am very impressed with the tire....wear is reasonable but not great....but then again tires are a compromise one way or another.

Al

bentwings

Reaction score
I'm with tonkadoctor, a set of single tire chains get me anywhere I need to go snow mud or what ever. I only rear drive but 4 wheels haha. I just use them on the outer tires. I really would like the full dually chains as wet snow can pack under the inner tires and reduce the traction even with chains. I buddy has full dually chains and he goes anywhere.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have full dually chains and they are great! but when I had my 2wd, it did not matter what tires I ran, It got stuck on wet grass. I like the street tread for longer life, and use the chains when needed.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I were to go with some traction type tires on the rear, stock size 235/85 16 :
A) would it gain me much of anything, with /without the 5er attached ?

B) would it completely screw my fuel mileage , and about how bad or do these things even care?

C) any brand/model preferences in the low price category?

D) anyone ever try the el cheapo pep boys tires like their Dakota AT with a 50k mile waranty or Dakota MT with a 40k mile waranty? ( what can I say, poor boy's got poor ways :D

E) before anyone says to go get the Michelins etc, save the keystrokes, Haven't got $700-900 laying around for tires. If the co-op still carried the $65 rags I'd be grabbing a set of those.

Thanks----------Robert

Not sure if these are in your budget area, http://www.procomptires.com/xtremeallterrain.html but they may work well for you application.

All in all, chains are likely the biggest bang for the buck for traction next to a decent locker.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
An option if you run the 4 hole steel rims is to keep a few lengths of chain and some bolts or padlocks. Chain only needs to be long enough to pass through the holes and wrap around the tire, can keep them long enough to wrap both tires if you like.

This will give you the bite you need if stuck (unless you bury it too bad) and you can still run highway tires.

Got myself out of a jam like this many times trailer truckin'.

Another option is to get regular tire chains and put them on first if you know you're going into muck. They're a PITA to put on and off and even worse if it's already stuck.

There was a time when I didn't mind hanging chains ( heck, when I was young and strong and driving a big truck, I could chain one of those puppies all the way up in a few minutes without breaking sweat) but these days I'm too crippled up to be fooling with the things, heck, I couldn't even lift a set of dual chains anymore -cuss that's why I've been thinking about going with some tires with a bit more bite. I mostly don't want to get stuck pulling the 5er out of a campground or out behind the house( which is pure rock with only about 2-3" of top soil, but when good and soggy, it's enough to strand that dually with highway tires on it, we've had all manner of vehicles back there and so far, the dually is the first one to get stuck)

-----Robert

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a time when I didn't mind hanging chains ( heck, when I was young and strong and driving a big truck, I could chain one of those puppies all the way up in a few minutes without breaking sweat) but these days I'm too crippled up to be fooling with the things, heck, I couldn't even lift a set of dual chains anymore -cuss that's why I've been thinking about going with some tires with a bit more bite. I mostly don't want to get stuck pulling the 5er out of a campground or out behind the house( which is pure rock with only about 2-3" of top soil, but when good and soggy, it's enough to strand that dually with highway tires on it, we've had all manner of vehicles back there and so far, the dually is the first one to get stuck)

-----Robert

That's one reason I suggested carrying a few small lenths and a couple padlocks or bolts, just enough to get unstuck. Whole lot easier than hanging iron....especially on something big like 11R-24 tall rubber, I hated signs that said hang iron if going over this pass out west-cuss

Only takes a minute to loop a couple short chains through the hand holes in steelies and lock it. Great for winter emergencies too and will do more on ice than any mud tire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online