Dual rear wheel axle with single rear wheel?

Caleb M Hughes

Reaction score
So my trusty 94 F350 DRW (sig. truck) scalped a tire today, and the other three are so-so and mismatched so I'm in need of a solution, with winter coming in North Dakota real soon I'm debating put a locally sourced set of Aluminum wheels from a 95 F350 single rear wheel truck, my truck is 2WD so sizes not matter but my question is will the single rear wheels physically bolt on without fear of tearing up wheel bearings, I know it won't match the front duals but function takes the cake. The wheels in question are in good shape with fairly new tires for less than 400 bucks so it's cheaper than replacing the 4 dual wheels.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of guys will just pull one of the duals off the rear for the winter and run them that way. With single rear rims they will track different then the fronts. Can't really see any reason would affect the wheel bearings though.

bob_442

mad scientist
Reaction score
A lot of guys will just pull one of the duals off the rear for the winter and run them that way. With single rear rims they will track different then the fronts. Can't really see any reason would affect the wheel bearings though.

With the dual rims installed, the upward force the hub places on the axle (through the bears) is more or less straight up. The weight is distributed across the surface of both sets (inner and outer) of the full-floating bearings. When you leave the outer rim off, the force is no longer straight up. This is because the remaining tire and rim is no longer centered between the bearings. Now there is a twisting force on the bearings. Since there are thousands of pounds of force (weight) being transferred through those bearings, the twisting force is significant.

Simply installing a spacer between a rim and a hub has this effect. With floating bearings which are not horizontally oriented, this probably doesn't matter too much. With full-floaters, there is extreme force on the inner and outer edges of the bearings because of the twisting force. This will wear them out in short order.

Anything you do to move the support the tires are placing on the hub will cause undue wear. The less you move the support, and the less the weight on the bearing, the less the undue wear will be. I would expect a standard single rim to be preferable to a single dual being installed on a hub intended for dual rims.

I don't know all of this from personal experience. Towcat recommended against this for anything other than short-term purposes, and the explanation I just gave is what I came up with when I mulled it over -- wondering "why?". The specific example being warned against by Towcat, to me, was not to use single-rim hubs with a spacer and dual rims -- and he mentioned someone who went through lots of bearings on a truck so-configured with a heavy camper installed on it.

I think the only way to use a single rim (without stressing the bearings) in place of dual rims is if the single tire ends up precisely centered between where the dual tires would have been. The same is true if one is mounting dual rims where there was supposed to only be one.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with this. On a 1/2 truck I don't believe the rim is centered on the bearing, never have really checked though. There are untold number of full floating 3/4 ton rear ends out there with duals on them that have had no undue bearing trouble , something we have done for years. And with trucks that have spacer installed ,front , rear with out some prove doubt there is a lot higher breaking problem then normal.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The higher the payload, the more that centering the wheel over the bearing matters.

A semi-float is a different animal. Also not intended for heavy payloads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller

Staff online