$46 LT215/85R16 A/T tires (stock size for dually trucks & vans)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
EDIT: they make come and go as being sold out

I thought I'd share this crazy deal I found from Walmart. Dunno how many they have available, but it's not sold out after the one I ordered:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/978731343

I ordered one as my RV spare. The spare it has now is probably 30 years old. (Not an exaggeration). Yeah it's gonna be an odd A/T spare but the ancient spare is A/T too.. go figure. I don't care what the spare type is since it's just that... a spare. The size matches the H/T set so that's all that matters.

The thing about these deep discount tires Walmart sells, is they are usually at least 3 years old from when they were manufactured. But, they were stored in warehouses so they aren't dry rotten by the sun like ones on vehicles. Nor have they been bearing thousands of pounds of weight, so they aren't REALLY aged like 3 year old tires on a vehicle.

I bought a pair cheap priced Maxxis trailer tires (ST205/75R15) from Walmart like that and they have been fine so far.

Oh and I have been running weird Chinese brand tires for years too. I have Westlake A/T tires on my F250 and Travelstar Ecopath H/T A/S tires on the RV. (All from Walmart). Not a single problem with any of them.

If you need a dirt cheap set of new tires for a dually, it's an awesome deal.

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, that's the same brand as the tires I have on my F250. The build date on mine is 2008 and they're still holding up after sitting on my parts truck for a few years and being on my F250 for about a year and a half.

I'm certainly not recommending running any quite as old as mine, just saying if they're a couple years old from sitting in a warehouse I wouldn't be afraid as mine have held up surprisingly well given their age.

I wish Sigma still made tires, I'd love a newer set of the ones on my truck. Apparently the brand went defunct a couple years ago.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Ah, I see. Well I'll be sure to check the date before I leave with the tire. Or rather, before I have the auto department mount the tire.

Last year, my mom still had a set of tires on her 2003 Taurus that I bought in 2008 because she drives so little so the tread was still good. One kept loosing air finally. I bought her 2 new tires for the front in some cheap brand from Walmart, then a month or so later her boyfriend bought her 2 more in another brand for the rear. She has put about 20k miles on the car in almost 12 years (about 1,700mi per year on average).

Last edited:

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Damn! My dually takes 235/85/16s in the rear :dunno

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

215s would probably work fine. My heavy as heck RV has them. A 3 ton floor jack can't lift the rear even just to one side to take off the wheels.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They'll fit, they'll look a little funny though. I think they look too small on the duallys they came on stock LOL

Westlake had some 235s for like $100/ea on Amazon that had good reviews last year when I was looking around.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
They'll fit, they'll look a little funny though. I think they look too small on the duallys they came on stock LOL

Westlake had some 235s for like $100/ea on Amazon that had good reviews last year when I was looking around.

I think the reason they put skinnier tires on vans (Dodge did too, and maybe Chevy?) is for less rolling resistance and better fuel economy, since vans are sold more for only on-road use, not so much on/off like pickups. A lot of pickup owners attach their egos to their trucks too, so skinnier "van size" tires somehow look wimpy to them.. or something like that. I look at trucks as tools, nothing more. I don't care if my vehicles look "funny" if it means saving money and getting decent performance.

I only got the Westlake S369 LT235/85R16 A/Ts on my F250 because I actually did go off road in some pretty rough places leading up to needing new tires. I got stuck in mud once out of me being kind of stupid with the old worn out H/T tires but I did managed to get unstuck finally thankfully. The A/Ts saved me from getting stuck on soft grassy ground once with the big travel trailer hitched up once in Iowa.

My RV should probably have A/Ts considering some of the places I take it, but I try to avoid muddy conditions, so it's been fine so far. I would hate to take a 1-2mpg hit with A/Ts on it too. My F250 lost 1mpg city and highway as soon as it got the set of Westlake tires. The F250 has a higher ground clearance and no huge long rear end (the RV drags often due to the intentional design, it has V shaped skids to allow it), so I tended to take it rougher places than I'm able to take the RV.

As a compromise for no A/Ts, carry a set of these I got on clearance a couple years ago at the end of the winter season. It's a set of two fold-out rubber mats made for using as traction to help you get unstuck in muddy and snowy conditions.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Uh oh, the tires are out of stock now. I guess they didn't have many. I wonder if anyone here got any. LOL

I hope I actually get one. Walmart was over-selling a bicycle last summer. I ordered it twice (months apart!) and the order was canceled both times because of being out of stock. :mad: First time took 6 weeks before they canceled the order, second time took 2 weeks.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of pickup owners attach their egos to their trucks too, so skinnier "van size" tires somehow look wimpy to them.. or something like that.

Yup we certainly see a lot of that! I just don't care for the look myself. I can see the smaller tires slightly helping the gearing too when loaded, I like the slightly bigger ones for the exact opposite reason, gives a couple less RPM at highway speeds.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yup we certainly see a lot of that! I just don't care for the look myself. I can see the smaller tires slightly helping the gearing too when loaded, I like the slightly bigger ones for the exact opposite reason, gives a couple less RPM at highway speeds.

Oh yeah, they are slightly shorter, but only by about 1.34" tall. Can't say that probably looks much different since it would only be about 2/3" less tall at the fender.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=215-85r16-235-85r16

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's more noticeable than you might think. Some idiot had both sizes on one side of my dually when I bought it cookoo

kbenz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh oh, the tires are out of stock now. I guess they didn't have many. I wonder if anyone here got any. LOL

I hope I actually get one. Walmart was over-selling a bicycle last summer. I ordered it twice (months apart!) and the order was canceled both times because of being out of stock. :mad: First time took 6 weeks before they canceled the order, second time took 2 weeks.

I just checked. didn't say anything about being out

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I just checked. didn't say anything about being out

Huh, it came back up then. That bike I tried to order twice and got canceled twice because of out of stock did that too. WM sucks with their website like that. Edited the title and original post again, just in case they are actually available.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Weird, someone posted a review saying they got a golf cart tire of some other brand, not even Sigma. And def not a truck tire. I guess we'll see, if it ever gets shipped to the store.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Here it is Tuesday and it hasn't shipped. I suspect it's a crap listing like the bike. It has gone sold out and back listed again. Well if it's not at the store by Thursday, I'll cancel it and just order a $90 one to a different store later on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online