TPS Setting

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm having some memory problems. What is the tps setting at idle? I know the low side is .96 volts but the high side has me thinking its either 1.2 or 1.02 volts at idle. I just finished a long heavy haul (about 5000 lbs of trailer and horses) and my trans temp reached 195 degrees. Yes, thats my new BTS trans doing that. The outside temp was right at 100 degrees so that plays into it also. I'm just not really happy with these findings on the freeways and surface streets even unloaded. The temp slowly increases to the 195 point. The level of fluid shows I'm overfull by about 4 inches if thats possible. I know when I filled it I did exactly what BTS told me to do. Then after some time I added the Mag Hitec pan. It requires an extra 2 gallons to come up to the full mark. The dip stick shows this high level whether the motor is running or shut down. I thought maybe it was splashing that far up the stick. I may just have to drain it and see how far down the stick dips into the pan. Thanks all.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Having a deeper pan, it's not going to make any difference on where the stick goes in .the stick keeps the fluid at the correct depth below the valve body.
However, having a few extra qts in there if it gets REAL hot there is going to be a lot of thermal expansion with all that extra fluid and it would likely read a bit higher on the stick than it would at normal operating temp.

Sound like it's time for some synthetic tranny fluid.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally-recommended setting for the FIPL seems to be 1.1V at idle with engine all warmed up (thermostat open). The high side is 4.3-4.5V depending on whom you ask, I have mine set to 1.15V idle and 4.29V WOT and I'm pretty happy with the shift points. Also I ain't never seen tranny pan that takes extra 8 quarts, 5-qts pans are just huge, so are you sure the pan you got don't hold only 2 qts extra?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The Mag Hitec pans hold an extra 7.6 gallons over the stock pans for the E4)D as per the factory specs. The counter ingineer told me the same thing. Just remove the old pan and save the fluid. Install the new pan, then the saved fluid and an additional 2 gallons. Thats what I did. I have reset my tps to 1.19 volts. It does shift differantly now. I'll see how it goes tomorrow taking the horses back home to the ranch.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.6 gallons, that's the size of one and a half bottles for an office water chiller - holy cow, how big is that thing? Got a pic of it? I only found one Mag Hytec pan for the E4OD, and it indeed holds 8qts over stock, which coinsides with your observation of needing extra 2 gallons of fluid:

http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=165

About the TPS - if you were lower before, you now have higher line pressure and also higher shift points, which should both help you out when towing.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
195 is ok. Drain it down a little. that might help. Now if you said it hit 220 or higher then that would be a problem. If the temps are still a problem go with a bigger cooler.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Darn it... My really bad... The Mag Hitec does hold an extra 7.6 QUARTS... Not gallons like I posted eariler.... Gees.... Yes..... The trans does shift firmer but not all that much higher of shift points. Tonite after dark I drove it home from the same distance but this time the temp outside was around 85 degrees.... Not the 104 it was yesterday... The trans temp was normal.... It just barely got off the 140 degree mark on the gage. So maybe things are ok but I'll be keeping an eye on things for some time.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UP engine

trackspeeder, What happened to that engine in the avatar?

I've been signal on the D&RG and B&M.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Darn it... My really bad... The Mag Hitec does hold an extra 7.6 QUARTS... Not gallons like I posted eariler.... Gees.... Yes..... The trans does shift firmer but not all that much higher of shift points. Tonite after dark I drove it home from the same distance but this time the temp outside was around 85 degrees.... Not the 104 it was yesterday... The trans temp was normal.... It just barely got off the 140 degree mark on the gage. So maybe things are ok but I'll be keeping an eye on things for some time.

It should be fine.:thumbsup:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nose looks intact. I don't think anything climbed over the anti-climber. Looks more like a glancing blow.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right. Although I'd not want to be in that cab during the event.

Good to see folks familiar with r.r. stuff, anti climber is not in everyone's dialogue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online