Tow truck drivers, haulers and others who use cable

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I managed to pick up some 3/8 cable tonight from a guy selling off a 800ft spool. Picked up a 100ft and 50ft length. My plan is to put some ends with hooks on it for extensions to the next tree or buddy outside the mud hole. What are good ways of looping the ends??? Ive seen some will take those U bolts that have the little crimper and 2 nuts that you squeeze the cable together. Any better ways?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Esmets work pretty good. My grandfather used to be able to to a loop and then braid the cable back through itself. He made up rope using the same principle. He was a marine man and owned a marina with a large, cable boat lift. They held well, but it seems to be a lost art. He showed my dad, and he can do rope, but never seen him do cable. I don't drive a tow truck or anything, but I have a cable he made for me when I was...suffice it to say, many years ago! :) It's pulled it's fair share of truck/jeeps/buggies out and is still holding strong. It's 50' long and is handy for staying out of the mud while pulling!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When you are buying the clamps make sure you get something called a J bolt. They can't be installed wrong on the cable like a U bolt can. U bolts must be installed where the clamp is clamping the live side of the cable and the U bolt is on the dead side or the short end past the clamping area. We used three clamps for safety but I have seen one being used on a 250 ft man hoist. That was scary and I wasn't riding in it.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
sle, it's called splicing.
I can do it on 3-braid, 8 braid, 32braid line, and wire rope.
Need a hammer, a marlin spike and some time.
Three tucks will hold it on it's own, but three clamps will insure it stays.
I'm no tow truck driver, but I do offshore towing with 8000yard barges, often with lines/wires I've spliced.... never lost one due to bad splice. Ohh and the wire is 1.5inch to 2.5inch diameter

If it was me, I would be very suspect of 3/8inch wire. Even if the load rating says it's ok, what is the surge load? the only thing we use that size for it keeping people from falling off barges.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TAke it to a logging supply and get it done in a crimper, it is the only safe way IMO.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard about Jbolts... I will look into them... Russ, do you know any good ones in our area??? I hate driving to Portland for anything... Those crimps would look alot nicer. I was looking around Coastal today at there hardware, and the wire rope clips. There own packaging says MINIMUM 3 REQUIRED.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will ask my logger buddy who lives on your side of the hill, and there is a place in McMinnville.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
yup, three are required.

I quick way, is to make your loop, spread open the wire, tuck the wire through it.
Use three clamps after tuck.
And the clamping part all goes on the loose end. That way if it ever slipped, it would close the eye but not loosen it. If you're worried about crimping get some socketfast and a socket.

Least thats what I've done with towing wires. Never lost one even in 20ft seas.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
ok, educate me. how when used properly do they blow apart?
maybe towing a car is different than operating cranes/offshore towing.

lemme know.
drew

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I took a busted winch cable to the local cable supply shop, they repaired it cheap with a new eye and crimp.....Safe and done properly.