to the people that dont want to touch the lower rotating assembly....

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
today there are 2 posts about how they want to build their engine but do not want to touch the bottom end.

i thought the same way as you did when i pulled my engine apart.

there were things in the bottom end that were not up to spec.

it cost me all of 250 bucks for rings and bearings.

if youre going through the hastle of going through everything else, why not pull the crank, have it polished if theres no major scoring
or have it turned if there is?
have the machine shop check your rods for roundness.

sure it takes longer, but you will be much more satisfied with your build.

knowing your bottom end is golden is KEY!

if you were on a really tight budget, i say do what you gotta do.......

but both threads i saw were planning on putting money on studs...

so an extra chunk of change is only going to give you a piece of mind.

nothing like getting your "fresh" engine done and spinning a rod bearing.

ok i already stated that ive been there....

and i know your concerns...

"how do i know that my clearances are good?"
micrometers and plastigauge WORK!

then you know you are good to go....

JRW.0011-.0038"W

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
And another good idea is balancing the rotting pieces. When I was balancing my new Mahle pistons I needed the engineers at Mahle to tell me what the balance tolerances were. They said we can run as far out as 14 grams and not feel it....:bs:bs:bs:Whatever::Whatever: Well that's right up off the stable floor. The widest spread between pistons on my engine it between 1/4 and 1/3 gram over 8 pistons.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I agree.
Now if you're just plopping in new HG'S and studs, and calling it a day, that's another thing.

To clarify, I mean in frame.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I literally just dropped my engine off at my machine shop today to have the bottom end rebuilt and a valve job. I do many things but bottom ends take a keen eye I think, it's not something I'd like to learn on haha.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
If you got it out, at least pull the pan and inspect the bearings before deciding how to proceed. Rings and bearings aren't expensive if it just needs a freshening up.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick hone and deglaze....check crank if OK looking likely is...mic as required add some fresh bearings in rods and mains ...Bobs yer uncle...good for a long time...

So long as shites in spec yer golden ...

overhaul is hone rings bearings....

Rebuild is new pistons n whole schamolee

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I literally just dropped my engine off at my machine shop today to have the bottom end rebuilt and a valve job. I do many things but bottom ends take a keen eye I think, it's not something I'd like to learn on haha.

the hardest part of building a lower end is keeping things clean...
seriously.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can make things surgery clean, I just wouldn't have the eye to determine a good piston, good cylinder, and know the difference between good and good enough. I think bottom ends are an art form.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
With 78,000 miles on it I bet it needs nothing. But in for a penny... In for a pound. Do it right.. Do it once.. Forget it after that.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It just takes a little courage is all. Most guys know what needs to be done.. You just need the mindset that these engines are primitive by nature and one just needs to keep things clean and measure wear tolerances. Also, the right tools help as well'

Using pipe cleaner brushes on the crank and block oil galleries and details like these more important than balancing or what have you.. A few grams off at 3000 RPM is insignificant..

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I was feeling nervous when I did my first oil change, at about 9 years old. Then I worked up to spark plugs, points and slightly more complex things, and many years later it was injection pumps, heads, bottom ends. Everything is a little touchy the first time around. Now I'm a bit on the cheap side but have no problem spending a couple hundred just to know that the bottom end is tight and I can not worry about it for many many years. What scares me is.....pulling the damn engine a second time to replace something I should have done the first time around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online

No members online now.