To do list

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so ive decided to make a list, so on my days off and when its warm outside/i have access to my aunts garage I have a plan of attack. If you guys can chime in and let me know what I should/shouldn't do that would be awesome, and in general if my list is good and what i should use

Glow plugs (Beru) -Done
Engine oil (5w50 synthetic for winter?)
Tranny oil (what kind?)
Coolant (i think its dc4 or something?)
Fuel filter (what kind and how do i do this...just screw off ?)
2 Group 31s
Gear reduction starter
Injectors,oring return line kit (from accuratediesel on ebay, i asked he said they do pop test em)
Headlight relay mod
Air filter (my current is pretty clean, how beneficial is a k&n on these trucks?)

Summer plans
-vo conversion
- f450 brake swap

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good list, except for the fuel filter and the K&N.

No sense in changing your fuel filter until your light comes on, and half the time I drain off a beer bottle of fuel from the filter while it's running and I get another 6 months out of the filter (I run some questionable additives from time to time...)

I like a K&N on a gasser, but I've heard bad things about them on IDI's, especially turbo'd rigs.

Just my .02, but overall you made a good proactive list.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Run ATF in your ZF5 speed, I park my truck on an uphill angle and try to overfill it by a quart to quiet the SMF rollover noise, but I don't know what flywheel you have. Lots of people overfill them and I hear no adverse effects.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overfilling doesn't cause the case to over pressure or cause the seals to leak? When you talk about rollover noise do you mean the growling noise the trans makes when you lug the engine? Can anyone testify that they run cooler overfull? I installed Fast Coolers (PTO Coolers) on mine with Amsoil syn ATF. Cured my grind from 2nd to 3rd, but even with those upgrades very hot to the touch after running down the highway; although I'm sure the temp is normal.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good list, except for the fuel filter and the K&N.

No sense in changing your fuel filter until your light comes on, and half the time I drain off a beer bottle of fuel from the filter while it's running and I get another 6 months out of the filter (I run some questionable additives from time to time...)

I like a K&N on a gasser, but I've heard bad things about them on IDI's, especially turbo'd rigs.

Just my .02, but overall you made a good proactive list.

What makes the K&N bad on an IDI

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the truth or not, but I've HEARD that the K&N filters don't grab the smallest of the dirt particles. Thus, taking out the bearings in the turbos. Don't hold me to this, just going from word of mouth.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What additives do you run? Haha
Not sure wheat fly wheel I have on mine, can you describe this roll over noise?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Old K&N filters could be a problem because they can get damaged during cleaning. They use a thin layer of oil soaked cotton sandwiched between metal mesh. If the cotton gets a hole poked in it, you get dirt in the engine through that hole. Otherwise, K& N filters are great. No, I don't work for them, and I don't have one on my truck (I have a stack of free filters I am still working through). But I have two on my car and like them very much.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
What additives do you run? Haha
Not sure wheat fly wheel I have on mine, can you describe this roll over noise?

I run 5% biodiesel blend and all lubricity problems are taken care of!!;Sweet And if I don't have any bio I will run Howes diesel treat, and I go heavy on it. I would really like to get my hands on Optilube but its hard to get.
Don't want to start an additive debate. but Howes, Stanadyne, Powerservice, 2 stroke oil are all well used products.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use bout 8 ounces of power service in my rear tank each fill, is there any benefit to running alot of additive? Whet tranny additives are good?.....has anyone ever used that water wetter stuff in coolant?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yeah you are doing fine with the Power service. I don't know if there is a benefit to running lots..I just like to believe that it is in fact raising the lubricity to acceptable levels. It get pricey though...

Out cooling systems to a great job when in good condition, don't think there is a need for water wetter.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you are doing fine with the Power service. I don't know if there is a benefit to running lots..I just like to believe that it is in fact raising the lubricity to acceptable levels. It get pricey though...

Out cooling systems to a great job when in good condition, don't think there is a need for water wetter.

Haha, so it isn't like that less is more tp commercial?;p

with the power service it has cetane booster so I was thinking more ps the higher the fuels cetane level? About how many liters of coolant do these engines take and how do your dispose if it?
Po told me it takes 9.3 L itres oil....do es that seem right?

Also, how much tranny oil?