timing

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So im trying to advance my timing since im running WMO now, it seems to run a lot more retarded now, but i cant seem to figure out how to loosen all 3 of the nuts holding the pump in place. How do you guys get to the two on the bottom?

Also what do you guys use to rotate the pump? I dont seem to have any tool that can grab the square and clear the fuel line coming out of the top of the IP. How do you guys do it?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
OTC makes a nice special wrench just for the pump on these things. I bought one off my snap on truck for around $85, you can buy it from 1-800 ROTUNDA as well .
barring wanting to drop large amounts of cash, an offset open 9/16 obstruction wrench will do the trick.

As far as turning the pump, I've never found the mythical wrench spot on my pump, , so I just carefully take the big oil filter pliers and grab around the outside of the housing and twist

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine with just a regular 9/16 open/boxed end combo wrench, took some patience with the bolt on the passenger side with the harness and all getting in the way, but tis definitely doable. the driver-side bolt is an easy access, shouldn't be having no problems getting to it with anything smaller than a crescent wrench. The "mystical wrench spot" is actually kinda-sorta like a tab sticking out on the front face of the pump, tis a bit odd in shape and just as thick as a regular 3/4" wrench is, but it works well.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how about the fuel line coming off the top of the IP? i have a hard line and it crosses in front of the tab. is that pipe easy to just remove and reattach when im done?

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took my box wrench and grind it down a little bit to make it thinner and it worked great.

suv7734

Reaction score
Here's the boss on the front of the pump for adjustment...

Attachments

• timing_boss.jpg
    timing_boss.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 36

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's it, exactly what SUV7734 posted, I was actually looking for that pic last night as it helped me when advancing mu pump, but I couldn't find it.

suv7734

Reaction score
Yes, that's it, exactly what SUV7734 posted, I was actually looking for that pic last night as it helped me when advancing mu pump, but I couldn't find it.

It's right here on my camera's memory card... LOL
Hope it helps

Bruce

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember, it doesn't move infinitely. My pump on the Moosestang is up against the end of travel in the slots. So... I know new pump time will be near. Yes, WMO is definitely not a performance fuel.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Here's the boss on the front of the pump for adjustment...

'Cepin they don't all have the mythical pump boss.
I've got three pumps around here and none of them have it. all are later 7.3 pumps

Here's mine:

Attachments

• pumpknob.jpg
    pumpknob.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 22

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't recal seeing many with that boss either.