Timing by ear game

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Timing by ear game...sound/video included

Finally got all my major issues resolved yesterday on the Limo. Actually got to drive it today around town about 30 miles...even got it registered. These crew cabs sure are a blast to drive...and the best part is it turns sharper than my extendo cab F250 TTB. :puke:

Anyhow...I have video clip of my 6.9 starting and idling. clicky! Take a quick listen if your bored. Just wanted to test some of those ears out there. The timing marks are not lined up but how does it sound. Advanced??? Retarded??? I know it's off but I just bolted it tight once the injector caps were on. Right now this is the easiest starting IDI yet (of 3)...even with the weak starter it has. :popcorn

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would like to have heard you throttle it up a bit to say 1500. It sounds fine right at idle, but I can tell better by the way it growls when you rev it. Congrats on posting the sound clip. That's something not enough folks do. ;Sweet

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
I will do that when I get home and it's warmed up. Is there anyway to post an mpeg on OB...I had to link to that other site. ;p

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm... that's a good question. I don't think so, but I'll double check.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
fiverpuller said:
I will do that when I get home and it's warmed up. Is there anyway to post an mpeg on OB...I had to link to that other site. ;p
Suggestion, host it on your web space, and link to that. Most internet providers supply you with some web space (10-20 megs normaly) This saves space and bandwidth on the server that is hosting the site. Expecialy getting into movies which are much larger then pictures.

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
wwwabbit said:
Suggestion, host it on your web space, and link to that.

Tried to figure that out last night. I have qwest DSL through MSN. I guess qwest would host the files but I gave up trying after a couple hours. I am not computer illiterate...qwest just buried the info on this deep. :backoff

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Here is another clip at 1500 rpm's. Let me know what ya think. BTW...the static mark is just over 1/16" on the retarded side. It seems to lack the low end my other 6.9 has but revs out a lot smoother. The other 6.9 is a little more advanced on the static marks and has a bit more rattle through the rpm. :confused: Once I get some new injectors in there I will find a shop/person to set the timing. I don't have the luxury of a west coast idi rally with a timing seminar. :cry:

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
I think I misread the 1500rpm thing...so here is yet another clip... rev to 1500. It just sounds like a bunch of noise to me...but it was funny how the camera ****** everytime I hit the throttle. :Sly

And I found out my msn dsl does NOT have any web hosting. -cuss So I guess I will have to fill up tds for now.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good to me. Most likely within 3 degrees, but I suspect at least 1 degree retarded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online