Time for a project update

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of you may remember the start of my project, back in October:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8356

I worked on getting the bugs out of it November and December, then sold my DD GMC 1/2 ton before I headed off to school for 3 months, 1200 miles away. It more than proved itself to be time well spent. It still is far from pretty or done, but, in 5000 miles of service after being ressurected from sitting(last plates on it had been '00) the only hickups I've had were the heater core going bad(should have put in a new one when i had it apart....) the vacuum pump kicked the bucket, and I lost an inner rear wheel bearing.
Other than that, only real issue is that I kicked my butt for not making time to put the carpet and sound deadener back in before I left... 2 12 hour days in a row of 65 mph with a 4 speed and 3.55's with 235/85's = ears ringing for hours....

I took a gamble, and got a set of the dual coil Wellman glows off of e-bay, so far(4 months now) they seem to be working great, the truck didn't get plugged in after I left for school, and with 0W40 in it, at -20, it will start on a single cycle of the glows.
So far, so good, it averaged 20 US mpg on the highway(quite suprised considering the RPM it's turning) used a quart of oil in 5000 miles, and has proved itself to be pretty dang reliable.

Now it's time to dive deeper into it and make it like a brand new truck, I was planning on buying a Super Duty I know of this spring, but, I just can't make myself spend the kind of money that involves, and I'm far more impressed with the 6.9 than my 00 PSD ever had me. Besides, I've been driving 80-86 F-Series since I was 13, I don't think it's that I just like them anymore, I think it's become an obsession... LOL
In the near future, it's getting a new set of wheels and tires, exhaust(the factory muffler is getting ripe... time to kiss it goodbye,) and, I'm rounding up new body panels. A turbo is on the want list, but, I'm pretty impressed with the power it has now(7.3 IP and BB injectors)

I've got to get some good pics of it's current condition, but, here's a couple.
I upgraded from the old bench to late 80's EB Bronco Captains chairs... My butt thanked me for that...
And, yes, that is a 120 gallon fuel tank in the bed... LOL
And, FWIW, that's the 460 truck to the left... poor thing hasn't seen the road in 2 years...
Evan

Attachments

• home.jpg
    home.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 20
  • interiorwcaptschairs.jpg
    interiorwcaptschairs.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member