Tilt Steering shafts parts

Ronw435

Reaction score
I have a 1986 Ford F250 that needs a new universal joint in the steering shaft by the steering wheel. Does anyone know what this is called exactly? I cannot find anything at auto part stores.

Thanks
Ronw435

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you taken the column apart yet? Are you sure that joint is the problem?

I believe that joint would be part of the upper steering shaft. Part number possibly E2TZ3524A. I did some looking mostly because I like a challenge, but it doesn’t look like it’s readily available. You might have to reach out to a steering column shop. Probably the easiest route is going to be finding a good used column and just swap it out.

Ronw435

Reaction score
Yes TNBrett I did have it apart and it is the ujoint. I dont think it will come apart but it makes it a little tough driving down the road. Not real bad but you have to herd it....lol. I was not looking for the upper steering shaft. Was hoping to just get a new u-joint.

Thanks for the reply

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1986 Ford F250 that needs a new universal joint in the steering shaft by the steering wheel. Does anyone know what this is called exactly? I cannot find anything at auto part stores.

You probably do not need a new joint. The joint parts are hard steel and probably OK. Parts are not very available, but it is serviceable, but it resists. I spent three days getting the play out of mine. I used every tool on this table, and I needed to grind down a small box end wrench.

Ronw435

Reaction score
Thanks Ray,

I have been into my steering column and the joint is definitely bad.
I can see and feel the slop in the joint. It feels like all the needles are gone if there was any there to begin with.

Ron

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, put your truck information in your signature, like year, model, 4 wheel drive, etc. This will stop us asking what do you drive????

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ray,

I have been into my steering column and the joint is definitely bad.
I can see and feel the slop in the joint. It feels like all the needles are gone if there was any there to begin with.

Ron

There are no needles. The joint is not like any I have ever seen. I call it wobble plates separated by four balls. There is a nut in the center that can tighten the plates. The trick is to get the pressure on all four balls equal, after you determine how to get a wrench on the nut.

Ronw435

Reaction score
Rayvan

Do you have a picture of this joint? They must have a way to adjust the joint. Does it show up in any manuals?

Thanks Again
Ron

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rayvan

Do you have a picture of this joint? They must have a way to adjust the joint. Does it show up in any manuals?
When you remove enough stuff that you can bend the joint to max, you can see the nut. There are two pair of balls. The nut applies pressure simultaneously on both pair of balls. The trick is to apply pressure equally on both pair of balls.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you remove enough stuff that you can bend the joint to max, you can see the nut. There are two pair of balls. The nut applies pressure simultaneously on both pair of balls. The trick is to apply pressure equally on both pair of balls.
How is it that absolutely nothing in this post was blocked by the censorship software. It may be the turkey talking, but I’m just saying.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is it that absolutely nothing in this post was blocked by the censorship software. It may be the turkey talking, but I’m just saying.
Shall I edit it to replace balls with ball bearings? So your turkey will not be offended?

But ball bearing generally refers to a bearing assembly that uses balls rather than some other bearing surface material. But the subject here is not when the balls are acting as bearings - that is while moving - but rather when they are supposed to be stationary. In this case, when they move when they should be stationary, we call it U joint slop.

So the subject is really just balls.

Go easy on the turkey.

Ronw435

Reaction score
Thanks for the information Raydav. I got into the joint and adjusted and now it drives like a new one..........well its a lot better.