TIcking

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
AT idle I have,a distinct ticking sound. I think its coming from the intake. I dont recall hearing this before the turbo install. I have fresh oil in it. When you install a turbo does that affect timing? Im only staticly timed at the moment. Would advancing a little bit possibly help? Hopefully I'm just a little retarded.

sassyrel

Reaction score
AT idle I have,a distinct ticking sound. I think its coming from the intake. I dont recall hearing this before the turbo install. I have fresh oil in it. When you install a turbo does that affect timing? Im only staticly timed at the moment. Would advancing a little bit possibly help? Hopefully I'm just a little retarded.

turbo,,will NOT affect timing....may have a lifter collapsing,or a rocker arm wore out,,and fresh oil magnified it.............

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
HOw can.i verify what it is? I think ive always had this noise and can hear it now beings its not being highly muffled by the air breather, I have a short cold air intake now. It seems to do it once the motor is warmed up.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Might be an injector too.

I had that ticking in the 94. The heads are off the truck now being rebuilt. Valve guides were sloppy and some of the lifters were crap. Someone also decided to hand lap the valves on it too....cookoo

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Ok this is weird, was at a stop light. I heard the ticking while sitting, got home let it idle and no ticking. It did seem like it did have slightly a higher idle.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Would any tpe of air intrustion cause a ticking sound?

Here is a thought. I never turned up my pump yet since Ive gone turbo. Could my pump be starving for fuel and getting air pockets and causes the ticking? i dunno wouldnt that cause rough idle?

I still need to get the timing on my pump. When I accelerate I kinda get the im a gasser sound from my truck.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Well when I did the turbo I changed the oil also. Remember pre turbo I had that huge stock filter, and now just a little filter. I think before the filter was masking the tick.

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan,

Did you ever get this figured out? I think have the same issue. Mines NA but I started my truck today without the air cleaner on (can't tell you the last time I've had it running the the cleaner off) and there is a definite tick like a loud exhaust leak. Put the air cleaner back on and I can't hear a thing.

Bob

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
No Still have the tick. I am starting to think maybe its the oil I used. I used some Case IH oil for tractors instead of the usual rotella or mobil I typically use. Ill load another video of the ticking sound.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does sound like an exhaust leak and I agree on the reasoning about before & after the turbo. Makes the most sense.

However from what Ive read on here a bad inj or air in the system can sound pretty much the same.

BTW, I wish my truck held oil psi like yours....ha.