Tick, no tick, tick

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Thewespaul is that the part number for a 95 powerstroke filter? I've heard you can run them I just haven't changed over yet. I'm almost due for a oil change.
Motorcraft FL-1995 is the 7.3 Powerstroke filter, usable on all 7.3 Powerstrokes(1994-03).
It works wonderfully on 6.9 and 7.3 IDIs; while the clearance is tight, I've never had a dent or scrape or anything from the filter actually touching anything else.

The only bad event I can think of that maybe bent a push rod in the past was when my throttle cable came off and it wot dry reved to almost 4K for a couple seconds before I knew what happened and shut it off I thought I had a runaway when I first got it years ago.
The IP is governed to that speed. It will keep the engine running at that speed forever without overspeeding unloaded.
It's perfectly safe to run an IDI at WOT governed speed, though when you put a load on the engine, it won't rev as high(usually in the 3500 range).

There are any number of IDI owners who have driven at governed speed for thousands of miles across country with no ill effects.

Personally, I (with the lack of governor on my RD-110 pump) got an IDI up past 4500 multiple times. I ran into a problem /once/, when a rocker bolt actually vibrated loose.
I tightened it and didn't have issues soon afterwards...

Either way, it means that no, you didn't do any harm running it against the governor.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would use a quart of marvel and use the psd filter, maybe even look into getting a bypass filter

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll change the oil and get a filter for a powerstroke here in the next week, it's full to the top with oil right now so I'm not sure I can add anything, Would motor flush chemical be. Bad idea? They offer it at the oil change place when I go if I'm feeling lazy now and again lol

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the tick isn't still there, howwever it's much more noticeable than ever before(when it's happening) getting a little worried. When the engine goes quite(normal) it's seems to be smoother almost. Maybe I can try to video it because it's hard to describe it doesn't sounds like a single lifter necessarily sounds like a batched of them clattering away almost I susspoSe. But I'm not sure how different a lifter noise sounds on a 7.3 to a gas 5.0 it used to have a lifter stick now and again and this sounds much different almost like a old sowing machine? Lots of noise escalating up and down if I hold rpms steady while driving. Less noise with throttle applied and more noise(kinda) while decelerating if that means anything. I am planning on changing my called pan gasket next month and if it's a lifter I'd like to diagnose it so I can change it out while I'm in that area anyway maybe?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replacing pushrods and lifters does nothing to address one of the highest wear areas...rocker tips that contact valves.

Jist saying...u be chasing symptoms not solving problems likely.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you are looking at that, check for powdery black soot crud around the valve spring. If the valve spring is clean and nice, that valve stem and guide is fine. If it's all sooty, you'll want to take it apart because chances are that the guide is gone and it's leaking.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I think my plan is going to be take valve covers off before doing valley pan gasket and see if notice anythjng obvious like the soot your talking about, how do I check the rocker arms to see if they need attention or not?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a video on my phone but I'm not sure how to put it on here, it's also hard to make out the ticking/noise it's making but it can be heard sorta

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do I check the rocker arms to see if they need attention or not?

In my personal experience, they should be 'tight' - Valves that aren't "active"/depressed should allow you to wiggle the rocker arm around a little, but no play along the "rocking" axis.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That's the video didn't get off till 12 tonight. It's hard to hear on my phone if it's very audible my speaker kinda sucks