Tick, no tick, tick

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so now my exhaust is fully seal up new turbo kit is on it's a much quieter expierince in my truck. However that tick that's been there a couple years it seems maybe getting louder? It's there then it's Gone again. It goes away on acceration, it is louder when just gently driving steady around 12-1700 rpms. After driving a distance it doesn't tick usually like 20mns or more driving. Sometimes I swear I hear a faint knock driving but I maybe paranoid lol

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
how many miles on the injectors? Were they new or rebuilt if you have replaced them? Where did you purchase them from if.. You in fact have replaced them?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New r and d stage 1's maybe 5k ago with pump. tick was before and after injectors and pump and lift pump and before and after oil changes now as well. And after one treatment of stuff that's supposed to "unstick" lifters. And I do run Lucas stabilizer and delo400 15-40 oil in it changing at 3000 miles each time

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Have you looked at the rockers and topof valves under the covers? After all you have replaced it now sounds like maybe its a valve train issue.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slight tick before/after ip n inj replacement does to me sound like worn rocler or valvetrain related issue.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Does the tick sound like a safety chain (the ones you hook up when towing a trailer) hitting pavement? That was the sound I heard on occasion before a push rod decided to see the light of day.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's valve related.istening to motor it sounds like #4 has the noise, it's had the tick since I got it i think like 5 years ago it still goes away when driving for a while. Maybe failing lifter? I take off the valve cover and see if any rockers are loose?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any additives I can try to see if it's just something gummed up inside the motor? I don't want to tear down my motor right now I don't really have the means or the bank to do so, if I have to take it apart I may try to find a rebuilt motor on Craigslist they seem to come up frequently around here for like 500$ with low miles a couple even had paperwork with them

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lucas Oil Stabilizer definitely quiets down knocks and ticks, if it's a rod knock or some such.
The stuff is basically just really thick oil and will quiet stuff down that way. It's worth a try.
Not sure if it would fix a lifter tick, though.

If it is lifters, they aren't that hard to change in the truck - it's a "simple" matter of pulling the valve covers, rockers, IP, intake manifold and valley pan, then just replacing and reinstalling. A good day's job if you have everything.
Make sure you have a new valley pan to install, though. And you might also want valve cover gaskets too, just cause.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much do a set of lifter/pushrods run about? I wouldn't hurt anything to try and do it that way, I run the Lucas stabilaizer in it already, no rod knocks I'm aware of I'm sure it's valvertrane related but I have to wait some time and pay down the credit card some after the latest turbo instal lol . much quieter and smoother but with all the quite is why I now know of this lifter noise. Hopefully it stays okay for a while I don't run it too hard

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible I have a dirty motor like gummed up inside making lifter sticky? Truck sat for 10+ years previous to me owning it and it's only got 180k on it

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything is possible, I would run some marvel mystery oil in it and change the oil pretty aggressively, make sure you use fl1995 oil filter

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lifters can get sticky; I've torn them apart before and always found crud around the little ball bearing that acts as a check valve inside it.

Pushrods, well, if it's straight and both ends have a ball on it, it's OK.
You will want to check that your pushrod isn't filled with crud, but if you let the engine idle with the valve covers off, you should see oil squirting from the top of each rocker. If it is, that pushrod is *not* filled with crud.

As for straightness, just roll it down a flat surface. If it rolls smoothly, it's flat. If it jumps to one position, it's probably not.
All the bent pushrods I've encountered... were very obviously bent. Because for the pushrod to bend, something bad has to happen, like the lifter 'pumping up' and the valve hitting the piston.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Thewespaul is that the part number for a 95 powerstroke filter? I've heard you can run them I just haven't changed over yet. I'm almost due for a oil change. The only bad event I can think of that maybe bent a push rod in the past was when my throttle cable came off and it wot dry reved to almost 4K for a couple seconds before I knew what happened and shut it off I thought I had a runaway when I first got it years ago. How long should I run mystery oil befor change? I've also heard using trans fluid befor a change also but what kind would be safest/best for cleaning if I do?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While driving it comes and goes , like ticking then stop and quiet then ticking again at the right rpms with a neutral load on it(just cruising) on accelerating it quites when decelerating it stays. Much more noticeable at below 1600ish rpms a