Throttle/accelerator cable routing

Reaction score
Quick dumb question:

I had to replace the cable a few weeks ago when I accidentally broke it while timing the truck. Took a quick peak under the hood today, and the cap on the injector farthest back on the driver side and the return line leading to the cylinder adjacent to it are wet. It looks like the cable is resting on the return line and may be putting some stress on it. I'm wondering if I have the cable routed correctly since it is over the return line but under the injector hard line. Is it supposed to be over the hard line, or under the return line, or do I have it correct? I'm tempted to zip-tie it to the hard line just to lift it up off the return line. Bad idea? It's the section of line that has the extra thick cushy insulation, so vibration shouldn't be an issue.

Mike

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't let it touch the hard line! You will get a strange, pulsating noise in your cab that will drive you bonkers! Took me months to figure this out when I bought smokey back in 08 but lucky enough, someone finally told me to check the cable and sure enough it was laying on an injector line.

I have mine strapped to the cruise control cable where it runs through that area. If you don't have cruise, try finding something else solid in that area that you could strap it to.

Reaction score
Well, got around to playing with it a bit more this morning.

I unhooked the cable at the pedal and routed it back through the firewall so I could play around with it and see what works. Unfortunately, the only position that gets me enough slack so that the plastic flange on the cable easily meets the firewall is the way I had it. I had it routed in front of the rearmost injector on the driver's side, under the hard line but on top of the return line. The thick foam insulation on the cable was resting on the return line, so much so that it has already developed a crease/dent in the foam from where it was sitting.

I tried routing it so it was nesting on top of the two injector hard lines to the rearmost cylinders. That ALMOST works, but would strain that plastic flange on the cable at the firewall. I also tried routing it BEHIND the rearmost injector. Same problem, and that also puts the foam insulation right up against the turbo housing, which is asking for it to melt. Going under the return lines looks like a 'no-go' since there isn't enough slack and the foam insulation is so thick it likely wouldn't fit.

If anyone with a Sidewinder could quickly snap a pic of how their cable routes relative to the injector hard lines and return lines on the drivers side, I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Mike

PS - this is what you get when you don't take pictures during disassembly!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Here ya go.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: