This stumped a Ford mechanic...

BRShirk

Reaction score
I did some research on the shop and it not some guy working out of his 2 car garage. They have 7 or 8 trucks with both a gas and diesel shop. I also talked to one of the owners who runs the diesel shop. He told me that when a driver screws up and damages a customers vehicle the driver pays for repairs plus any extra towing. This little screw is probably going to cost him $2-3K. If he learns and doesn't cut corners and it saves his next customers trouble plus I get my truck back to running and driving, within the limits of bad head gaskets, I'm good.

I bought the truck as a beater for me and my son to get our hands dirty with, teach him about cars and get him off the video games. It had issues when I bought it and all I want is for it to be returned to the way it was before the tow. I'm not looking to get a new truck out of it.

They took the truck back to TN, and I'll call them tomorrow to get a timeline for it to come back to me. I have a dated pic, receipt for the return and the complaint is still on file with AAA. I'm not going to cancel that until I'm satisfied and have my truck back.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ease up guys. let's not get too carried away here. this is not hitting a "home run" and if you try, I can certainly bet they will lawyer up.
the trans is the issue here. not the motor. the motor already has issues, hence the tow. the vehicle was also not towed "in gear". just that the probelm "in neutral" is not the solution. the solution is to pull the driveshaft. The truck is no spring chicken or is it close. at best guess, it's at least 20 years old. a used or rebuilt trans is fair. a new trans is not. a "reasonable" solution can be found. but thinking you are going to hit a home run due to a guy screwing up, is why this nation's character is in the toilet.

Also my opinion is not to be so hesitant letting the same company fix it. You have to assume the driver that screwed up may not reflect the owner and his business. Everyone had a bad employee

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
thinking you are going to hit a home run due to a guy screwing up, is why this nation's character is in the toilet.

That’s not the reason the nation’s character is in the toilet (I’ll skip the actual reasons why as not to turn this political), but your other point is right. Don’t expect more than you actually deserve.

On the other hand, don’t let the company walk all over you either.

A transmission shop I had rebuild a car’s somehow accidentally cracked the bell housing, causing a severe leak that they missed during testing. They tore it down two more times before figuring it out. They put a NEW bell housing at their expense because it was cheaper than getting a used one that could be damaged. The we’re losing money constantly trying to stop severe leaking that started after they rebuilt it. The new bell housing solved it and I never had to go back again.

When I got rear ended in that same car (and pushed into the jaywalking pedestrian I stopped for) the insurance company of the company van that hit me paid a body shop $1500 to fix the car, despite the car not being worth much more than that. It was before the trans rebuild. They wanted me out of the way since they were probably being sued hard by the injured pedestrian. I was found not at fault, obviously, so my insurance didn’t have to pay out anything.

tractorhead

Reaction score
You should always tow with trans in gear and transfer case in neutral. The bearing between the input shaft and main shaft is locked up. It only gets oil when the input shaft is turning

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should always tow with trans in gear and transfer case in neutral. The bearing between the input shaft and main shaft is locked up. It only gets oil when the input shaft is turning
only if the truck is fairly new and the transfer case has low miles, is this a good idea. most of our trucks ha ticking time bombs and lord knows I trust my transfer case so much, I carry a spare when traveling in remote areas

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also talked to one of the owners who runs the diesel shop. He told me that when a driver screws up and damages a customers vehicle the driver pays for repairs plus any extra towing. This little screw is probably going to cost him $2-3K.

Everyone makes mistakes and most reasonable people only want to be made whole and not stick anyone for extra benefits but that policy is crazy.

BRShirk

Reaction score
The policy does sound crazy. My guess is it was mainly designed for scratches and dents not something like this.

pafixitman

Reaction score
if this is for real on the big stuff, the company would have no employees and have a hard time attracting new ones.
I do payroll for a few tow companies and car haulers (auction and new cars). All of them have that policy written in their employee handbooks. The largest damage deduction I have seen come through was around $1800. In MD it is against the law for an employer to take a deduction or withhold pay without the express written consent of the employee (even if the handbook states ee is liable for damages). I assume I have not seen larger amounts because the employee gives the employer the middle finger and walks, at which time it becomes a civil matter if the employer chooses to pursue.

BRShirk

Reaction score
The truck is back to me. The mechanic, supposedly with 40yrs experience, said the transfer case wasn't completely in gear. He said the engine had to be shut off before shifting between 2whl, 4whl and nuetral. This makes no sense to me but I have no experience with Ford trucks.

I wasn't able to get the truck started before the driver left. The batteries were weak and connections bad. The batteries are on the charger and the complaint still on file with AAA. I'm still hoping it was just that stupid.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is back to me. The mechanic, supposedly with 40yrs experience, said the transfer case wasn't completely in gear. He said the engine had to be shut off before shifting between 2whl, 4whl and nuetral. This makes no sense to me but I have no experience with Ford trucks.

I wasn't able to get the truck started before the driver left. The batteries were weak and connections bad. The batteries are on the charger and the complaint still on file with AAA. I'm still hoping it was just that stupid.
Very fishy, I’ve never once had to **** a truck off to shift the transfer case

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I smell a little ******** here. So they saw smoke coming from truck and then THEIR hired mechanic says everything is ok huh.
It’ll probably be a rude awaking when you get it running sorry to say

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the mechanic is not completely right in his statement nor is he completely wrong. for starters, you "can" shift on the fly, but it is designed to be shifted when you're stopped.
the issue is irrelevant though, your problem is still in the trans.
you can't be partially in/ partially out on the transfer case.