This stumped a Ford mechanic...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ah, I figured they were all electric by then. Lol
I would check to be sure 4h is actually working.
Being that it's a manual case, I would look into the shifter, or the case itself.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iirc, you can go into 4 hi up to 45mph or something.
On my '88, 60 in 4hi felt like it was pushing it a bit... Didn't break anything, though.

in my '93 it's a lot smoother... 50-55 felt just fine. Yes, it's probably not advisable for other reasons, but the transfer case doesn't seem to mind...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The manual for 96 trucks says for the button shift system and auto locking hubs, can shift from 2 to 4h up to 55mph. Doesn't specify for manual tcase.
I think the dash has some tick marks.

BRShirk

Reaction score
I learned something last night. The guy i bought a gasser parts truck from said 7.3 IDI will not start even with ether if it's low on oil.

I just checked and sure enough, low on oil. So wish me luck I'm off to get oil.

If you don't hear back from me in 24hrs send a heavily armed search party to Wal-Mart. I'll probably be hunkered down somewhere in the frozen desserts isle.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes no sense.
So the previous owner is saying if the engine is a quart low, it won’t start with ether? :bs

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay just to clarify because these guys are poking at you. (rightfully so. A little gentle ribbing never hurt any of us) The guy is wrong. 7.3 powerstroke maybe. It uses high pressure oil to fire the injectors. IDI will run with absolutely no oil until it locks up.

BRShirk

Reaction score
Well I escaped Wal-Mart yesterday largely intact. There was much carnage in the frozen dessert isle.

That's what the guy I bought the gasser parts truck from said, oil was used to fire the injectors. So that's only for powerstrokes?

Well still no start. There's several things I know theatre going on. Loose battery connection for one. So I'll start with that then move on to changing the fuel filter to start. Then move on to the lift pump and down the line.

Well I did buy a project.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, that's 7.3 and 6.0 powerstrokes. (Also a cat engine and a couple internationals)
Before the filter, try depressing the Schrader valve on the filter while you crank the engine.
You definitely need tip top shape batteries and connections. This will never start if you don't have them cranking fast.
Just for fun, plugging in the block heater can help.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could be gone. Lol look for the block heater on the passenger side around the freeze plugs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.