This stumped a Ford mechanic...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Don't go easy on them. Hit them as hard as you can! To me, it really sounds like they're trying to pull a fast one over on you now. If it goes beyond this point (and I can't really see why it wouldn't) just be honest. Don't try to get more than you deserve. I think that would just bite you in the backside and then you could be stuck with a truck with bad head gaskets and a NFG transmission.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... all my fords will "shift on the fly" from 2x4 to 4x4(high) and back; if the hubs are locked, it's easy on the transfer case because everything is at the same speed.

4x4 lo, however, that's where you have to be stopped(vehicle stopped, not engine).

I'd find a copy of the ford manual that goes in the glove box and there should be "official" instructions.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brief hijack: I'm also looking for an owner's manual ('93 F-250 4WD ZF5) but the few for sale are ridiculously overpriced.

The transfer case shift lever knob is labeled "SLOW DOWN" next to the N position (between 4H and 4L). Not "STOP"... so does it have synchros or not? If not, can't it be rev-matched like any other big-truck transmission? I don't want to experiment and grind ;)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not exactly. It's a huge difference in drive ratio. Say if you were in 1st gear 4h, you would Likely need 4th or 5th in 4L.
You might be able to search the ford website and download a owner's manual.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The transfer case shift lever knob is labeled "SLOW DOWN" next to the N position (between 4H and 4L). Not "STOP"... so does it have synchros or not? If not, can't it be rev-matched like any other big-truck transmission? I don't want to experiment and grind ;)

NFW I would go from any 4Hi to 4Lo at any significant rate of speed. 2Hi to 4Hi, no problem, but as Jasper stated, the ratios are so far off why even attempt it?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Maybe Chris? Someone talked about using Low range to get started with a heavy load, then shifts to high range.
No reason to go to low without being stopped though.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Not exactly. It's a huge difference in drive ratio. Say if you were in 1st gear 4h, you would Likely need 4th or 5th in 4L.

Some of us are "well practiced" at this, 2900 3rd low to 1100 2nd high in my truck. :sly

That being said, it's a good way to break things, specifically your selector plate and shift forks, or even the chain drive and bearings.
I have multiple spare 1356's, currently in my truck, to maintain 4hi, you have to hold the lever in place as the detent in the selector plate is toast.
I killed it in the snow last winter and forgot to change the thing out all summer. :frustrate

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of us are "well practiced" at this, 2900 3rd low to 1100 2nd high in my truck. :sly

That being said, it's a good way to break things, specifically your selector plate and shift forks, or even the chain drive and bearings.
I have multiple spare 1356's, currently in my truck, to maintain 4hi, you have to hold the lever in place as the detent in the selector plate is toast.
I killed it in the snow last winter and forgot to change the thing out all summer. :frustrate
my point exactly. there's no telling the condition of the transfer case. so shifl carefully.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yep. In my truck, they have a tendency to lose the high range shift fork pads.
I'll get the old let of the go peddle and it grinds out of gear. Lol

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oldest owner's manual I could find online is '96 and doesn't have the Diesel Owner's Supplement (which would be for a Powerstroke anyway). But it does say it's ok to shift 2H <-> 4H while moving, but to stop before shifting to 4L.

What's the low ratio in the transfer case anyway? From the (gas engine) table of shift speeds it looks like 2.5:1.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we are on the subject, what causes a transfer case to not go into 4lo? Last week I tried to get my 6.7 into 4lo and that sob would not go into that gear. Only 4hi and neutral.
Something must be all haywire in there, just don’t know what.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
On a 6.7, that case is a bit different than the 7.3. Lol
Sometimes those electric shift units, you almosty need to roll a bit.
Iirc, you can go into 4 hi up to 45mph or something.
LOW is 2.69:1
With 4.10's (if my math is right) that's effectively 11.03:1
With a zf5 in 1st that's 63.10:1

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has the manual shift lever on the floor. I’m sure it’s different than an idi transfer case, but they all do the same damn thing.....or their supposed to lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin