This guy is posting AGAIN??!?? *** now? (warped Banks air cleaner lid/shrunken K&N)

masterbeavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 new problems,and a couple of questions.

First, it seems that the Air filter has shrunk some(It's a K&N made for an early Banks) It has shrunken just enough to not fit properly into the track provided for inside the air cleaner. The first time I took the lid off to check the condition of the filter, I had a heck of a time getting it to go back in, and seating the lid because of it. When I installed the air cleaner, I seated it into the base first, and secured the lid on top of it. When I took it off, it appeared to have seated into the top, but somehow unseated and smashed up the bottom??? The pic of the filter element shows it upside down. Is this filter still available new from any place? This filter does not look like the type you can take a round element filter and smoosh it to fit...

The second problem is it appears that I got too carried away when I was carefully trying to smoosh the air cleaner back into position, and cracked the lid in a couple of places, and have warped it. Am I stuck with having to replace the air filter, and paying somebody to fix the air cleaner lid? I could get it to seal again with some non hardening silicone.

Last question, how much blow-by is considered normal? The pic is not the greatest, but it was the best one to illustrate what is going on.

You must be registered for see images attach

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 2 new problems,and a couple of questions.

First, it seems that the Air filter has shrunk some(It's a K&N made for an early Banks) It has shrunken just enough to not fit properly into the track provided for inside the air cleaner. The first time I took the lid off to check the condition of the filter, I had a heck of a time getting it to go back in, and seating the lid because of it. When I installed the air cleaner, I seated it into the base first, and secured the lid on top of it. When I took it off, it appeared to have seated into the top, but somehow unseated and smashed up the bottom??? The pic of the filter element shows it upside down. Is this filter still available new from any place? This filter does not look like the type you can take a round element filter and smoosh it to fit...

The second problem is it appears that I got too carried away when I was carefully trying to smoosh the air cleaner back into position, and cracked the lid in a couple of places, and have warped it. Am I stuck with having to replace the air filter, and paying somebody to fix the air cleaner lid? I could get it to seal again with some non hardening silicone.

Last question, how much blow-by is considered normal? The pic is not the greatest, but it was the best one to illustrate what is going on.
1) the air filter.
if you plan to keep this truck and use the air filter housing, get a hold of banks now and get a couple of spares while you can. If you have the K&N part number, order it directly from them. there's been some here who have hacked up the filter box and made up a different system.
2)the cracked and bent housing cover.
this is a obsolete part and can be considered almost irreplacable. see the last part of the first response or find a aluminum welder to fix your oops. If you are not in a hurry and am willing to pay for shipping, BrianS is in placerville until Wed. he does aluminum welding for a living down in the SF bay area and he is damn good at it. He can do it on his own time and not hit you as hard as a regular shop would, but there will be a time delay.
3)blow by.
blowby is normal. what is not normal is if it occurs when you rev up from idle and the blowby is still there or gets worse.

note.....
hopefully you have cleaned up your fuel system already and gotten a new filter or you will have ruined the ip for good if it isn't already bad.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd ditch the Banks air box, and the air cleaner. That style banks turbo is close enough to a Hypermax that you may be able to use their intake hat and build your own air filter setup like the Moose Air (see the folder in the Moose Truck album).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online