Thinking about my cooling system.

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8 about a year ago I discovered oil in the rad, I tried to clean the system and a month or so later I rebuilt the oil cooler. Now a year later I go out to tart the truck and the fan is wobbling around with about a 14 to 3/8 in play. Could it bee that the oil that I didnt get out of the cooling system helped eat the seals on the water pump?

I am also looking for suggestions about cleaning out the cooling system this time I want to do it right and Im figuring that Im going to have to get the rad rotted out, I have had no trouble with temps what do you think?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you might have a bad fan clutch, they are pretty notorious for crapping out. Look and see where your play is, I'm betting it's on the fan not the water pump.

Just my .02: oil in your antifreeze probably wouldn't damage the seals, and IDI radiators typically can't be rodded due to the fin design.

Good luck, post what you find.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The water pump seals are sealed bearings. If your water pump went bad it did it because it wore out on its own. It happens

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good old powder dish washing soap can be used to clean out the entire cooling system. Make sure the powder is liquified in warm water before adding to radiator.