Thermostat missing???

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a guy I met today when he came by to pick up some truck parts he bought from me. He had a 1994 F250 7.3Idi. He told me after we talked for a few minutes that he doesn't use a thermostat in his engine. I have done that before in a gasser but never in my diesel. Is he crazy? Will it hurt his engine?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will at least hurt his mileage. Diesels like to run hot...
And cavitation is another thing...less pressure in the system (colder) more possible cavitation.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Clearly its bad for our idi engines. Mostly because we have a bypass thats open when the thermostat is closed. When it opens the copper pill body reaches down to plug the bypass. Then there is the running too cold and ruining the cylinders and oil from the diesel blowby. They guy not running any thermostat is poorly advised. We can run without a stat but its not going to help anything but hurt everything mechanically in our engines.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres tons of dummies out there doing all kinds of weird things to cars thinking they are smarter than the design guys. ive seen missing stats,air filters,rear brakes,smog equippment,removed cats etc. my favorite was a guy that runs no air filter. i asked him about it and he said it breathes the same air as he does. guess he dont know what nose hairs and mucus do.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can do it in a gasser, but if it's efi, it won't run right.
Now in an emergency situation, by all means, pull it. Say it's sticking, or even have a leaky radiator or something. Gotta do what you gotta do to get home.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

blacksmoke94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sold an ATS kit (dealer added setup) to a guy once and he popped his hood to show me his motor. No air filter housing, no air filter, nothing... Absolutely nothing covering the turbo inlet. I asked him about it and he said he wants to get as much air in there as possible and he likes the way it sounds when he revs the engine....Young kid. I advised him against it and tried to explain but he had the "well when it blows I'll just rebuild it" attitude. Okay.. Good luck with that.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do it in a gasser, but if it's efi, it won't run right.
Now in an emergency situation, by all means, pull it. Say it's sticking, or even have a leaky radiator or something. Gotta do what you gotta do to get home.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

I read an article once that made a lot of sense to me. They were explaining why sometimes when the thermostat is removed, the radiator will overflow pre-maturely. They d-bunked the theory that the "the water flows too fast through the radiator" theory, making it overheat.

They claimed as the waterpump is pushing water through the engine, it develops a pressure head like any other waterpump system. The pressure head is developed at the first restriction the output of the pump encounters, and this is usually the thermostat. If you do take the thermostat out, they recommend cutting the guts out and putting the "washer" that is left back in simulate the thermostat being there.

If the thermostat is completely removed, the next significant restriction the output encounters is the tubes in the radiator. This increases the pressure in the top of the radiator greatly, and can lead to the radiator cap puking water prematurely.