The Towing King

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was my 1st time to tow something that heavy 7k + LB , That long 32ft for 180 miles each way , With fully loaded truck as well. I tow boats around but not that far or that heavy . I wanted to find how is the 7.3 IDI square body style dually AKA the green machine going to do along with my Tranny build to hold up for something like that.

I am a believer ... the Machine got balls, I was so happy with the PSDc6.0 Tranny cooler upgrade , Temp never went pass 165f , EGT was around 700-850 for most of the trip , Speed around 60-65 MAX . MPG / who cares once you hock something to the receiver MPG goes down .

Tranny shifted super , smooth and remained cool . these trucks are the best :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's good you had a good towing trip. seems you could use a little more fuel judging by your EGT. how much boost were you running?

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trip went pretty smooth .thankfully . I have no boost gauge YET . As far as the fuel economy i am going by the old simple math at the pump i would say ruffly between 9.5-10 MPG . I have the original IP/ Injectors with small drips here and there ..

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Yep just messing with ya
Thats almost the same camper my parents have. There's is a 35ft
sydney edition. She's a heavy gal!

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep just messing with ya
Thats almost the same camper my parents have. There's is a 35ft
sydney edition. She's a heavy gal!

Its super nice camper and solid heavy , We were spoiled specially when it started raining Saturday evening .

I wounder how towing a goose neck would be like as far as handling, Weight distributions and the ride ..!

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Its super nice camper and solid heavy , We were spoiled specially when it started raining Saturday evening .

I wounder how towing a goose neck would be like as far as handling, Weight distributions and the ride ..!
A Gooseneck is a night and day difference from a bumper pull.
Dont really care for bumper pulls.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trip went pretty smooth .thankfully . I have no boost gauge YET . As far as the fuel economy i am going by the old simple math at the pump i would say ruffly between 9.5-10 MPG . I have the original IP/ Injectors with small drips here and there ..
your MPG isn't too bad for towing, that's about what I get. its nice to have a boost gauge, you can have a better idea of what your motor is doing. with the upgrades I have I'm on the waste gate at around 2,200-2,500 RPM @10 LBS. I would tweak the waste gate but I don't want to blow something.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your MPG isn't too bad for towing, that's about what I get. its nice to have a boost gauge, you can have a better idea of what your motor is doing. with the upgrades I have I'm on the waste gate at around 2,200-2,500 RPM @10 LBS. I would tweak the waste gate but I don't want to blow something.

Surprisingly the MPG did not droop/change significantly with such a heavy load from when i tow a 24ft boat around town or old enclosed single axle steel trailer . I traveled the same distance with the single axle and made it on 14-15 gal and with the camper on 17-18 gla which honestly not bad

it would be nice to get few more mpg but that would be asking 2 much . I have a 485 Mile trip coming soon to TN the only thing i will be taking is total of 5 people in the cabin and my motorcycle strapped in the bed .I wounder how it's going to do as i never ran this truck before without towing any thing but its going to be steep incline up the mountain of NC for long miles

Last edited:

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OLD green machine pulled another 3k miles of long hwy miles in the last 2 weeks . Pretty amazed how this thing tow . EGT was around 550-625 Max trip from PA- Eastern NC 500 Miles . With the 6.0 over sized Trans coller up front the temp was not passing 150 .... I am still :D

Last edited: