The oil leak location: unknown!!!

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have some more info on a oil leak that is really bothering me. As some of you might know I have had my truck parked for the last month while I get my turbo figured out, long story, don't ask. But, I have not started the truck in at least a week and oil is leaking. Not AS much as when running I would suspect but when I power sprayed underneath my truck before I coated it with POR 15, I washed the oil off the starter, clutch cover plate, etc. Now 3 days later oil has leaked onto the starter and clutch cover plate, etc.

Where could this stupid oil leak be!?!?!?! Other than the valley, what else could put oil on the starter?? I was thinking rear main but how could it end up in the middle of the starter?? I would really like to get this figured out while the truck is down and before the winter hits!

Thanks,
snap.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The valley drain may be plugged and after powerwashing it floated some oil and now its draining down slow.:dunno

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be, but if I remember correctly, I saw it was leaking before I power washed it. And then after I saw it was leaking after I power washed it I was sure it was leaking before. Can anything else put oil on the starter?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sitting or running? valve cover gasket will lube the starter.

MOWOG

Gearhead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had oil soaking the starter in my 94 F250 Factory turbo when i got it... in my case the major source was that the dip stick tube was pulled out of the block. Also the oil line feeding the turbo was leaking at the fitting at the rear of the block. I tightened my valve cover a little too which seemed stop that leak.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those are my thoughts too. Use a mirror and look in at the rear valley pan plug. See if there is oil around it from the pan. You could also have someone pour some diesel or water into the valley pan up by the injection pump. Then watch back by the bellhousing to trans joint. If any fuel or water pours down that area its coming from the rear valley pan drain. The fluids pour out at the back of the housing and can only run off towrads the starter. there is a casting web that keeps the fluids from going towards the drivers side of the engine.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure but why not give engine a bath, get that UV dye and a UV light and dump the dye into the engine oil then wait for leak to show and trace it with UV light?

JM2CW

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No the dye comes in a mineral oil base in small amount about 4-6 oz and is specifically designed for this purpose. Once you have that leak located and the repair done. the oil can stay till next change no harm no foul...

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cleaned everything with brake parts cleaner, I'm gonna see how it does overnight. The drain is not clogged.

MOWOG

Gearhead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, if you decide to check the dipstick tube, take th RF wheel off and pull back the inner splash guard... this will give you a good look at the right side of the engine above the starter. Don't pull the starter out like I did.

godieselgo

Reaction score
I have the same leak on a non-turbo 7.3.
Its not the dipstick tube or valve cover gaskets.
It is an annoying leak, and it seems like it originates below the exhaust manifold on the passenger rear of the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle