The oil leak location: unknown!!!

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, this oil leak is really kicking my butt. Oil is coming from both sides of the clutch/flywheel guard and out the bottom. Also coming out of that hole in the bottom of the starter but NOT from on top of the starter. Oil is not coming from.....

valve covers
turbo
valley pan
dipstick

Could it be the rear main?

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, new news here.

I removed the clutch cover and had my dad rev the engine while I was under neath and I saw when revved, it shoots oil against the starter teeth. Any thoughts? anyone have a diagram of the back of the IDI? Is it possible that the flywheel bolts are leaking? Is it possible that the block is cracked?

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the rear main seal to me. Either that or right at where the main seal adapter meets the flywheel. My CC was doing the same thing and it turned out to be leaking from where the pan meets the adapter plate.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Ok guys, new news here.

I removed the clutch cover and had my dad rev the engine while I was under neath and I saw when revved, it shoots oil against the starter teeth. Any thoughts? anyone have a diagram of the back of the IDI? Is it possible that the flywheel bolts are leaking? Is it possible that the block is cracked?

very possible the flywheel bolts are leaking. If the flywheel has been off for any reason and whoever re installed it didn't know to use sealer on the flywheel bolts, then yes, it will leak oil like crazy out from around the flywheel bolts. The holes are not blind holes in the crank, they go straight through to the open crankcase so if you dont use something like blue locktite on the flywheel bolt threads, you will leak oil . Whats worse is some mechanics don't know this and will blame it on the seal and tear it down and replace the seal , only to make the same mistake again

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
very possible the flywheel bolts are leaking. If the flywheel has been off for any reason and whoever re installed it didn't know to use sealer on the flywheel bolts, then yes, it will leak oil like crazy out from around the flywheel bolts. The holes are not blind holes in the crank, they go straight through to the open crankcase so if you dont use something like blue locktite on the flywheel bolt threads, you will leak oil . Whats worse is some mechanics don't know this and will blame it on the seal and tear it down and replace the seal , only to make the same mistake again

id say you hit the nail on the head with this post ;Sweet he did a zf5 swap and might not have known, i would of never known this untill i read this post :hail

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did just do a ZF swap, but there was sealant already on the threads. I know when putting them on, the bolts bid get soaked on accident before installing. If my main was leaking, shouldn't it be coming down the oil pan/back of flywheel rather than ahead of the flywheel and whipping around the belhousing?

Either way, I should replace the rear main while I have it apart right?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
If you have it apart, just do the rear main as a precautionary. Also check any plugs that may be in the back of the block. And look for Cracks:eek:

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have it apart yet. I am gonna try to do it all in one shot today. You got any part numbers for the rear main with the sleeve?

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it apart and there wasn't much left of the rear main. The rubber edge was quite ragged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online