THE NIGHTMOOSE...20.6 miles and counting!!!!

MasterM00SE

Son of Mel
Reaction score
The adventure continues: driving home last night with no alternator, in the dark, I shut off all lights in the cab, no radio, etc. trying to conserve battery. I almost made it home. when I lost power steering and was forces to pull off the side of the road to make a phone call. we didn't have any problems getting it started, or replacing the power steering belt that broke. The shakedown stage continues...

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
The adventure continues: driving home last night with no alternator, in the dark, I shut off all lights in the cab, no radio, etc. trying to conserve battery. I almost made it home. when I lost power steering and was forces to pull off the side of the road to make a phone call. we didn't have any problems getting it started, or replacing the power steering belt that broke. The shakedown stage continues...

From personal experience, you only need about 5 volts to keep the fuel shut off energized.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. He knew that, but couldn't bring himself to turn off his headlights. :rolleyes: So it was still my fault cause he wasn't born with infra-red vision. :backoff Oh well, he was only 1 mile from the house. I grabbed the needed tools, a spare P/S belt and headed down with the Moosestang and I knew he had 2 sets of jumper cables in-hand. Let it charge up some while we put a new belt on, and got it started. He drove home in power conservation mode, as the Moosestang lit his way from behind. Got the new alternator installed, and it works great. Battery discharge (due to faulty diode) problem is now gone. Only mistake the boy made was giving away my V-belt pulley on the alternator core. He is correcting that mistake today. :backoff Last night he got a crash course on "what's inside a door" when his drivers side power window decided that sitting for almost a year, and then being asked to work all the time, was too much like work. Window went down, but wouldn't go up. Of course it was raining. Of course he has a gun to his head to study for his finals. Of course the motor is riveted and not trivial to replace. :rolleyes: Today his window is held in the up position with a stick found on the ground, and his new window motor is on order. But at least he is out driving it. Right after the alternator problem was solved, I took it for a test ride. It had 150 miles on it before I got a chance to see how it does. Let me put it this way, for those of you with a full size 6800lb truck... when you put a 6000lb trailer behind it, what is your performance like? OK, now instead of subtracting that much performance.... ADD that much. :D Let's just say the truck weighs about 3000 pounds, and about 1/3 of that is the motor. :rotflmao It goes up hills in overdrive that would have most normal IDI's on their knees. ;Sweet

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Knowing Mel, I doubt that "luck" had anything to do with it. Reminds me of a line from the movie, "Kelley's Heroes" -" Germans don't take a crap without having a plan..."

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
So it's a sports truck then.... Yep less weight = more performance...

Glad to hear that your getting her all squared away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist