The hunt for air begins...

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To remove olives you need to back the nut off the olive. Prevent the olive from rotating with the nut by stabbing and holding it with a pick or knife.

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All done for now and nothing is leaking:)
What else can I check in the fuel system for leaks.
I've replaced all return lines with new caps and o rings,got rid of hard line from lift pump to filter head,replaced olives,replaced return hose from IP to hard line.

I've read somewhere that under IP could be a source of leak??
Next is the glow plug system!!Might be looking for a new harness;)

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Defrocked - our situation sounds VERY similar... Waiting on parts, and better weather to keep going with mine though... Forecast of -15 tomorrow night... Ah, New England! :eek: I already did some cheap return kit from a part store before I started this thread, and it seems fine, but I'm going to redo it with one of typ4's... Getting fresh olives from him too. I figure all at once is the way to do it, since I have a bad habit of bumping into/wiggling lines when I'm under the hood. :/

Waiting til just after the holiday to do everything you're doing now.... Thank's for being the guinea pig! Keep me posted on the GP's too... Gonna do those myself as well... I think I may just grab those GP's and do it all. Only have to remove air intake and GP relay once... Way better

Oh yeah... When I took my front filterhead olive off, what TahoeTom said worked for me... If you can hold the olive, the thread does the work.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of the "below the IP" spot... But it's a last resort for me in my mind, if I know everything else is good, and there's still air getting in.

I wouldn't want to mess my timing up fiddling around with the IP... I've also heard that's pretty easy to accidentally do as well...

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that's a spot that just appears with age? I did my water pump a month ago when I got her... Big weep hole on that as well. Is there a way to get at/feel/see under there and check that wouldn't require removing all the injector lines...? Or does the weep hole appear somewhere else?

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That olive was so hard that brake cleaner just loosened it up but didn't help much.I just took it to the kitchen burner for about 15-20 sec then picked it out with a knife,fairly simple!! N E Ford,don't mind at all...gotta do it regardless so I will just post as I go along.Starting to learn my way around the more I read and do,just thankful for this site.We aren't all deisel mechanics by trade!:)

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I check the Schraeder valve in filter head? Or heating element..?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
This will show the weephole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veEONfhL3Uk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The shraeder valve can be taken apart and cleaned. Just need a valve stem remover. Could even replace the valve itself.
Not sure on the heater o-ring's.

I guess you could remove the in/out lines, plug one side, and use a mity-vac to see if it leaks air in.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome vid! It makes me wonder something... That bleed valve on the top of the pump... He says it goes to the return, so if I put a clear tube from there to my cap, would that be a way to diagnose a possible weep hole? I would think you would see the air coming out and going toward cap if there was one, since pump housing pressure is 3psi and return line is around 1psi... That anywhere near correct?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put metal tire tire valve stem cap with a seal on my bleeder. If it were to leak the cap will keep it sealed.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
I found my weep hole by using a mirror on a telescoping stick, its at the bottom back of the IP, below all the hard lines, IIRC. If its weeping it will be filling your valley pan with diesel, draining to the back of the engine, mine dripped onto my starter. Told me it was new IP time.

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well all is well now after the work I did yesterday.She fired right up no problem without any stumbling!!!
I was so f'n happy in my cab this morning,this is my Christmas present for now;)

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I chased air leaks for years and finally installed a check valve between the fuel pump and the filter. Granted, this does not solve an air leak issue in the return lines however it does make it a "non-issue". The check valve will not allow the fuel to bleed back into the tank and virtually "locks" it in place meaning it will be there when you turn the key.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I chased air leaks for years and finally installed a check valve between the fuel pump and the filter. Granted, this does not solve an air leak issue in the return lines however it does make it a "non-issue". The check valve will not allow the fuel to bleed back into the tank and virtually "locks" it in place meaning it will be there when you turn the key.

Where would one acquire one of these check valves? Sounds pretty ideal... Any special type required?