The buckin bronco project

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all looking for a bit of advice as what I've found online Isa bit vague fo what I want to get done in phase one for my newly acquired 82 bronco. So I got this bronco from the original owner it came out of San Antonio texas an has all the original paperwork and 30+years of service records the original owner told me it had like 203k miles on the clock but the records say 103k anyways after running it for aboit 200 miles I clocked 20mpg so that's good but got a slight top end tick I'm thinking lifter need adjusted any ways this is what I want to get done fairly quickly
1. Pull valve cover and adjust lifters
Anyone know what the aceptable tolerance is
2. Get the rear window to roll down all the way tight now it stops about 4 inches down
3. Check all the vitals/ oils an change a seal o .the transfer case the output for the front drive shaft pukes a little atf when ran in 4x4 I ran I to town an back today because it's snowing cats and dogs and seen about 6 or 10 drops of red in the snow
4. This is one that can wate but I'm curious about the removable top is fiberglass and has visible weathering and delamination is this repairable or look for a new

Any and all in puts appreciated as you guys have a lot more knowledge than me

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I pulled the bronco in the garage and the valves are not adjustable but I did find that there was a good amount of gas in the crank case I feel with the thinner oil that might cause the ticking in the top end so 18 bucks and I got a new one that will be here tomorrow also got all the fluids in the diffs and trans changed and a tcase seal for the slight leak I'm hoping to get this thing up to par for my wife to use a few times a winter to commute and me to use I .The hills

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i had a 78 bronco for a while, had a 351 and was actually stick shift. i really liked that truck. what engine transmission combo is yours?

change that oil and see how it does, if you have gas in the oil i would be taking a good look at the fuel pump. the diaphragm might have failed inside it.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is. 300 straight 6 and a 4 speed im guessing a t18 an I really like this one too it's fun to drive not very powerful but it's got a lot of torque and seems to like the snow and I have a lift pump on the way cost a whopping 18 bucks at the local carqueast with my discount through my work

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Mine is. 300 straight 6 and a 4 speed im guessing a t18 an I really like this one too it's fun to drive not very powerful but it's got a lot of torque and seems to like the snow and I have a lift pump on the way cost a whopping 18 bucks at the local carqueast with my discount through my work

that is a great strong engine/drive line combo. the 300 might not be a speed demon but yes like you said, they are torque and just keep running.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing you might try is some Sea Foam to see if it cleans up the noisy lifter. Does it do it just on start up or all the time? If all the time try and find the loose one, look are the rocker and push rod could be worn pretty bad. They also make oversize length pushrods for them . Another thing the ends of the valves wear on them a bit too when rockers don't oil right . Back when I was mechanicing rebuilt a lot of them engines. Use a good oil filter too, some off brands leak the oil off on the 300 , which causes a raddle on start up.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it's an irregular tick after it warms up and Im going to look at it a bit more tonight an pull each cylinder to tdc and check the play in the pushrods I'll check the top of the valves too and it's good to know that they make longer pushrods I seen somewhere on line someone ad used adjustable rockers too

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it's an irregular tick after it warms up and Im going to look at it a bit more tonight an pull each cylinder to tdc and check the play in the pushrods I'll check the top of the valves too and it's good to know that they make longer pushrods I seen somewhere on line someone ad used adjustable rockers too
That year should have a stamped rocker with a bolt holding things down. Look closely at how bad the push rods and rockers are worn. When out you should be able to blow air through the push rod while moving the rocker in any position , if you are following what I am saying. If not getting good oiling on top can make noises as they are somewhat running dry.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That year should have a stamped rocker with a bolt holding things down. Look closely at how bad the push rods and rockers are worn. When out you should be able to blow air through the push rod while moving the rocker in any position , if you are following what I am saying. If not getting good oiling on top can make noises as they are somewhat running dry.
Yeah I see how a lack of oil could cause that kind of tick I'll check and make sure they have good flow and I looked a little more last name get they are stamped rockers and nothing felt too loose but I am going to get some good mesurements on the pushrods and see how long I need to get an do the whole set I put the lift Pump in last night and serviced it an drove it to work this morning an it seems to be a bit happier