Terrible fuel mileage..

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using fuel treatment every tank, changed fuel filter, removed muffler which lowered egts slightly. Has a k and n air filter, and I drive extremely light on the throttle and I am getting 11mpg. It has 4.10 rear end auto tranny. Any sugestions??

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your timing may be off i got a 88 ford 7.3 it was getting 14 my timing was to adv so i droped it back now i get 18 and if i burn oil i get 20 so check your timing

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Timing is a possiblity but how many miles are on the injectors and injection pump. Has either been replaced in the last 100,000 miles.

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, they havent been replaced. I was going to replace them come summer time due to not having a garage. I will try and find someone that can check the timing. What should the timing be set at?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Timing should be at a minimum 8.5 dbtdc. Because of the terrible fuel we must use its been found that 9.5 to about 10.5 dbtdc is going to give you more hp and fuel mileage. Most run arouns 9.4 to 9.7 advanced. If you find a shop that actually can time the engine make sure you ask some questions. Like are they using the luminosity probe type timing or the much prefered pulse type timing method. If they say they do it by ear and charge you run from them... All they do is listen and mt your pocket of cash...:angel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online