Temperature Sender / Sensor

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
From what I have gathered there are 3 different coolant temperature sensors on these engines. Can anyone tell me what the part numbers are for these different sensors? I am looking on rock auto and only see the 1 coolant temperature sensor MOTORCRAFT Part # SW2520.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, there are three coolant temperature sensors on the engines, that is true.

Let me clarify what ones are what.

On the driver side head, there are two senders. The largest one of the two (and I believe to be the one closest to the radiator) is the overtemperature switch. Once the engine hits 244*F it will peg the needle to HOT and turn the engine light on in the dash.

Behnd that and closer tot he firewall, should be a slightly smaller temperature sender. This is what moves the gauge and gives you a realtime temperature reading to teh gauge.

Now, on the passenger side head is a third temperature switch. This is used to determine to burn the glow plugs or not. The glow plug controller uses it to determine engine temperature above or below 130*F.

That Motorcraft SW2520 SEEMS to be the sender used to determine real time engine temperature. I am not sure if the 300 six or 302 and 352's used an overtemperature switch or not, but this sender is used on F100, F150, F250, F350, E100, E150, E250 and E350 vehicles from 1983 - 1994.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ok, by doing a quick google search, the 300 six does NOT have a overtemperature switch, so I would say that the switch rock auto has is the one for the gauge to read temperature in real time.

Should it help, ANY 300 six, or 302, 352 gas engines AND the 6.9/7.3 IDI engines use the SAME sender. If you think yours is bad, maybe a junkyard find would be easier and cheaper.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Goofy...that was helpfull info...my over temp sensor was bad...had my gauge pegged light on...replaced it and voila all good! Now when I do my swap I plan on sticking a mechanical gauge sensor in the rear passengers head where if swapped would be the over temp switch...I feel this gets the heat at rear most cyl and could be a good location...plus it's just a simple pipe plug to remove and replace...LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and do NOT replace the factory overtemp switch with another one of the same temp. That switch is the "kiss your engine goodbye light" and you need to be told it is getting too hot before you reach that 244 degree threashold. Put a 230 degree switch in there. Get them at NAPA. The switch in the passenger side inboard head position is just to operate the fast idle solenoid and cold idle advance. It has nothing to do with the glow plugs. The temp switch for the 83-86 trucks is built into the GPC, and the 87 and up glow plug system senses cylinder temp by glow plug resistance.

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and do NOT replace the factory overtemp switch with another one of the same temp. That switch is the "kiss your engine goodbye light" and you need to be told it is getting too hot before you reach that 244 degree threashold. Put a 230 degree switch in there. Get them at NAPA. The switch in the passenger side inboard head position is just to operate the fast idle solenoid and cold idle advance. It has nothing to do with the glow plugs. The temp switch for the 83-86 trucks is built into the GPC, and the 87 and up glow plug system senses cylinder temp by glow plug resistance.

Mel, from I can tell the SW2520 is the real time temperature switch located on the drivers side head closest to the firewall.

Do you or anyone else know the Motorcraft part numbers for the other two sensors? Overtemp sender and High Idle?

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
OK I found the part number for the high idle, cold start sensor. Motorcraft E8TZ9E939A.

Now I just need the number for the overtemp sensor or the NAPA version that Mel recommended for running a cooler overtemp sensor.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The switch in the passenger side inboard head position is just to operate the fast idle solenoid and cold idle advance
i would like to add that it also controls the fss to. mines unpluged and my truck wont start plug it in then starts

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even better.......... remove one of the pipe plugs from the rear of either head and install an aftermarket sender to give you an actual temp reading in the cab. I prefer the rear passenger's head for my sender. In my experience, it gives the hottest reading (closer to reality) than using one on the front of the driver's head (like I have on my F250).

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Heath

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
Even better.......... remove one of the pipe plugs from the rear of either head and install an aftermarket sender to give you an actual temp reading in the cab. I prefer the rear passenger's head for my sender. In my experience, it gives the hottest reading (closer to reality) than using one on the front of the driver's head (like I have on my F250).

Heath

do you use an aftermarket gauge with the aftermarket sender or do you use the aftermarket sender hooked to the factory gauge?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket sender to aftermarket gauge. I leave the factory gauge in the truck to keep the factory appearence to the dash, but I don't trust it at all (same is true for the oil pressure and totally useless amp meter).

Heath

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Heath.

Do you or anyone else know the part number for the over-temp sensor? (dummy light)

rempfer

Reaction score
No one ever posted the part number for the overheat sensor? I need one for my '88 F250 7.3 IDI. No one knows its part number?