temp issues

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 94 idi factory turbo, im having cooling issues, the truck is not overheating but running warmer than i like 230-240 loaded. i have installed aftermarket temp guauge (sensor in drivers side front of head) have also installed electric fans 1 16" and 1 12" fan set up as pullers. i havent replaced t stat yet but was wondering who else has had this issue and or things to check, sits about 210 at idle and 200-225 empty at 60 mph 85 outside temp... seems to run hotter when going down highway at higher rpm any ideas would be great thanks.

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also forgot to add that i have flushed system and new coolant in it, as well as i notice that it doesnt really level off until 210 at idle just a steady increase in temp even when i have the fans running from cold to warm. im thinking tstat?

Reaction score
Yeah, I would say thermostat would be a place to start. Mine idled at 205 before I replaced the thermostat, but now it's more like 195.

Mike

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i have deleted stock fan and added electric i run them on a toggle switcxh n keep em on all the time... and yes i have the correct cooloant, low silicate zerex from napa and napakool 4056 sca

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
prior coolant was not mixed correctly and definately way overdue for a change drained both sided of engine and a good cleanin on radiator (had a good amount of bad stuff come out of her and refilled with correct coolant and sca)

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how big of fans should i have... dual 16"? and no i havent sprayed out the fins but they dont really look all that bad

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how big of fans should i have... dual 16"? and no i havent sprayed out the fins but they dont really look all that bad

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Here's another suggestion. Move the temp sender to the water pump. Unless I'm wrong, the heads will give you a hotter reading because that's where the most heat is at. This is my opinion, I'm sure someone will say that I'm wrong.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The best place for temps taken is just before the thermostat but we have no place there for it. so its the drivers side top of the block. Picking up a temp off the water pump will not tell you what the engine temp is. That coolant has already been thru the radiator. What water did you run in the cooling system. If its tap or well water your problem is the minerals dropping out and plugging up the radiator. Also running those electric fans will not cool this engine under load. Do a serch for electric fans. Several members have modified the fans off other ford products and they work great. Personally I run the stock fan. I have the MS Tech modified fand clutch and the huge Rodney Red aluminum radiator. I have a tuff time getting temps up past 200 degrees.

tbiagent69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the truck still overheats on a level highway then it is probably not an air flow problem. I have been thinking of acid flushing my radiator since it's coming up on 30 years. Did you take a look at the inside of the radiator when you flushed it?

I know not the same, but I couldn't get my mustang to run cool no matter what. I tried an electric fan, I tried a flexalite fan with the variable fins, and I also tried a stock setup, all of which let the car overheat.

Finally, I went for broke and drained about a half gallon out of the radiator. I then poured a quart of pool grade muriatic acid in it after starting it, cold. . It bubbled like it was overheating for about 3-4 minutes (I guess a lot of solidified crap and other deposits in there)

After about 15 minutes I neutralized the acid with baking soda, then flushed it out again several times until the coolant came out clear with no sediment.

These trucks are coming up on 25-30 years old, and with the SCA additive we put in there I have no doubt there is crap floating around the system that reduces the efficiency quite a bit.