Synthetic tractor trans oil any good for making waste motor oil

Patrol

Reaction score
I'm a diesel mechanic and have access to unlimited supply of tractor trans oil, but its synthetic, what's are your thoughts on using it as a fuel instead of d2

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll burn. Just mix it with about 5% gas or 15-20% diesel and put it through a centrifuge.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do a little burn test of oils. I just use a little piece of paper towel, dip it in oils, the try to light with a lighter. If it lights with this "wick" I figure it will burn. I also note how easy it ignites, flame color, and what kind of smoke it produces. Burns clean with little smoke is better or black smoke like acetylene then it will probably produce a lot of soot. Is my logic.

Patrol

Reaction score
Cheers guys, I'm very new to this as In i haven't even gotten set up yet, just stock piled trans oil and ordered a centrifuge off of ebay, have to wait till July for that to turn up.(problems with living at the bottom of the world in new Zealand) seems like no one is running used oil down here, I'm just sick of paying $2.40nz a liter $5.9US a gallon for d2, if my Maths are correct. So took a punt and ordered the centrifuge

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I've been using a oil from a big equipment place for several months with what I would guess is probably a bunch of hydrolic oil. My thoughts are it's too thick, so make sure you thin it. I'm not super scientific in my filtering and I don't have a centerfuge, so take all I say with a grain of salt and a teaspoon of honey, but it's clogged up a handful of fuel filters. But I'm quick to point out it does burn, and a fuel filter on rockauto is cheaper than a gallon of diesel. I want ATF, I think it'll burn cleaner. I like motor oil the best, I think my truck runs best on motor oil reeaaallllll smooooothhh....

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kinda engine though? It's really best if you have a mechanically injected diesel, not a more modern computer controled engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online