frick #3 ammonia compressor oil

blue_vett

Reaction score
I have found a large supply of very clean used frick #3 out of an ammonia compressor system. Would this be safe to burn as fuel? its a iso 70 oil so it would need to be thinned down a bit but it seems like a high quality mineral oil. im most worried about the fact that ammonia gets into the oil while in use, would there be any corrosive elements that would come into play if i was using it as fuel?
has anyone used ammonia compressor oil as fuel that has any experience with it?

chickenpot

Reaction score
ammonia boils around -30 F or so. how long has the oil been sitting, and i would assume un-pressurized? only concern would be ammonia trapped in the oil, which can happen in the system but at atmospheric pressure it likely has evaporated out. Not too sure otherwise but it's probably fine. I'm scared of ammonia but if i wasnt, I'd say heat the oil to ensure it all evaporated, and maybe tap the container or agitate the oil.

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will attack brass and causes black pipe to rust. Great for wmo furnace. Got a buddy that uses it exclusively. Low ash and very clean usually. It can absorb and hold water. I got some yearsss ago. Didn't know what to do with it and after research seemed like it should work and fuges it and put it through my dodge. Did not get much out with the fuge. Mine was not clear (thought it was maybe resolved/absorbed h2o) and the fuge didn't make it clear like it does with diesel. I also tried to air agitate during summer to offgas the ammonia before fuging. It did get some out, but it didn't seem to get much out. It was still very ammonia smelly. Truck burned it okay though. I think I blended it with some old gas. I don't think I would run it again though after seeing what it did to the fuge. Not sure what brass parts are in my fuel system. Definitely would use it in a heater though.

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will attack brass and causes black pipe to rust. Great for wmo furnace. Got a buddy that uses it exclusively. Low ash and very clean usually. It can absorb and hold water. I got some yearsss ago. Didn't know what to do with it and after research seemed like it should work and fuges it and put it through my dodge. Did not get much out with the fuge. Mine was not clear (thought it was maybe resolved/absorbed h2o) and the fuge didn't make it clear like it does with diesel. I also tried to air agitate during summer to offgas the ammonia before fuging. It did get some out, but it didn't seem to get much out. It was still very ammonia smelly. Truck burned it okay though. I think I blended it with some old gas. I don't think I would run it again though after seeing what it did to the fuge. Not sure what brass parts are in my fuel system. Definitely would use it in a heater though.
Good to know thanks, We just got 4000 litres of that given to us from the local meatworks and have been wondering if it would be okay ......... we'll now find an alternative use for it.