Sweet Swap Meet Find -HAIR DRYER!!!-

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Its an old ATS Retrofit turbo kit. But its complete as far as I can tell, and I got it for a deal. I dont want to say how much, just in case I decide to sell it instead of put it in my 83, with 89,000 miles.

Let me know if you know which kit this is.
I need to get the turbo rebuilt and repaint it and stuff, but other than that its in pretty nice shape.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good! Gotta love those ATS mounts. Holds the turbo, plugs the CDR hole, and drains into the valley pan all at once. No flexible hoses to leak or fall apart. You will probably find yourself in need of some small fittings, but other than that, performance should be similar to an original Hypermax.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good hope it works for you, looks like it may have a new turbo our someone cleaned it really good.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I forgot to picture the intake hat.
But I have that too.
There's a fitting in it, Im assuming to run a boost gauge from.
Also the oil intake is through a stainless steel hose that I didnt picture very well.
It has the pyro sender in it, but Im sure I'll end up just putting one in it from my new gauges.
One thing I know I'll need, or should replace anyway, are all the orings. Everything is oring sealed even the air box to the turbo and turbo to the intake hat are oring sealed.
Oh, forgot. I was wanting to know if anyone knew the kit number for this so I can get instructions.

DieselRecon

Reaction score
Hate to say this but you need a new compressor wheel. That one is eat up.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a fitting in it, Im assuming to run a boost gauge from.
Yes, that's exactly what it's for.

Oh, forgot. I was wanting to know if anyone knew the kit number for this so I can get instructions.
I'll do you one better...

http://www.dieselwarden.net/temp/ATS/

:D

I happen to have the exact same turbo setup, and someone on STD had the instruction kit, so he scanned it in (and missed a few minor spots, noticable on the diagram especially) and E-mailed it to me. I pieced it together as well as I could, and the results are in that link. It's a 088 kit, BTW...and, IIRC, the O-rings are no longer available from ATS. I was able to find equivalent O-rings for most of them at a hardware store, though, and they seem to be holding up well.

This is the only non-gated turbo IDI I've driven (and, the only wastegated turbo IDI I've driven also had an intercooler, so there's no comparison), but the power difference is certainly noticeable from an N/A engine. I'd say that my biggest issue with the kit is the downpipe and how it (doesn't) fit into the exhaust housing. If you can get away with not removing the downpipe, I would STRONGLY recommend leaving it (and, for that matter, the up-pipe) in place...if you have to take it off, putting it back on and re-sealing it is not a pleasant task...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well even if you need a new compressor wheel(I did) you still out to get out for less than $500. Have you ever changed the head gaskets on that 83? If not you might want to before you add the turbo. A good find, probably paid a lot less than I did for mine.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The turbo needs completely rebuilt, I knew that when I bought it. The bearings are gone too. I'm expecting to have acouple hundred in rebuilding it.

The down pipe was already removed when I bought it, it doesnt fit tight at all, so I dont know how it seals. I dont plan on removing the up pipe. If I put this in my 83 with 89,000 miles, I'll do it when I do the ZF5 and 4x2 to 4x4 conversions to it. It should be much easier with the tranny out.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....The down pipe was already removed when I bought it, it doesnt fit tight at all, so I dont know how it seals. I dont plan on removing the up pipe. If I put this in my 83 with 89,000 miles, I'll do it when I do the ZF5 and 4x2 to 4x4 conversions to it. It should be much easier with the tranny out.

Well, sorta'....

I just put a ZF in mine and I can tell you from experience, if the up-pipe & down-pipe routing on this one is anywhere near as tight against the bellhousing as my Banks, you basically can't get the ZF in there with the turbo installed. I had remove my up-pipe and then unbolt the turbo pedistal from the engine and lift it up and to the passenger side of the truck just to get the tranny shaft into the center of the clutch disk to where I could slide the bellhousing up into place against the block.

And that was after unbolting 4 of the 6 cab mounts and raising the cab 4" at the front (3" at the tranny)....

LumbermanSVO

Reaction score
Too bad I don't have any extra cash right now or I'd buy the whole thing from ya in a heartbeat. My truck used to have that kit. Right now most of the parts are sitting on a shelf, including a rebuilt turbo, waiting for me to find and buy the rest of the parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online