Swapping motors. Any tips?

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
My Napa sells those speednuts for the bolts for the core support in bags of 10. I think there are only 2 sizes on the whole clip. Bring them with you to match up. You can get them in american thread and ditch the metric bolts if that helps. Never sieze all bolts when going back together. I used high temp never sieze on exhaust bolts and on slip fit turbo pipe's. Make sure downpipe is out when dropping motor in. This will let trans go higher. If you leave clutch fork out you can see trans imput shaft thru the hole for the fork the aid in line up. DONT FORGET TO PUT THE RELEASE BEARING ON THE TRANS INPUT SHAFT facing the correct way. Double check it.

Last edited:

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Get help when dropping motor in and make sure the person working the lift can control it when lowering. Some practice on this before motor goes over truck will help. If you are using an engine hoist they drop fast and lowering screw is touchy.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah yes... some practice with the controls are always good.

two people are good, but it can...can be done with one, I've done literally hundreds of swaps be it trans or engine or both together and with exp it's a one person job...sometimes that's best....no one to argue with and no one to blame but yerself...no one else steal thunder either!

help is good though if yer unfamiliar with it.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah yes... some practice with the controls are always good.

two people are good, but it can...can be done with one, I've done literally hundreds of swaps be it trans or engine or both together and with exp it's a one person job...sometimes that's best....no one to argue with and no one to blame but yerself...no one else steal thunder either!

help is good though if yer unfamiliar with it.

I, as someone who has pulled about three motors, highly valued the afternoon a friend gave me to put my engine back in.

Pulling the motor.. Meh it was nice to have a second set of hands for the hood, and eyes, but really didn't need much there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deezelcaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the turbo assembly back in. I could not seperate the pipes so I took riots advice and lifted the cab. Removing the bolts was a ***** by myself at first. People make fun of me because I buy grab bags of miscellaneous tools at yard sales. It just so happens I had a junk Taiwan 7/8 wrench laying around. I wedged it on the nut and tacked it to the frame. Then it was just impact work. A cold chisel and a ballpeen and it was off the frame. Wiring, fuel system and accessories tomorrow. Where did you guys tap in for the power wire for your electric fuel pumps? I believe the tech article says the fuel shut off on the pump? That is the one on the front?
Thanx to all for all the help

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you're almost done. I also have to say that you're a lot tougher SOB than I am. I'd have just waited until spring and cussed to myself every time I walked by the undrivable truck.