Swappin parts?

BC4Lyphe

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here. I have a 1988 F350 SCLB, ZF5, with a banks turbo in it. This things just about all rusted out and the motor isnt in the best shape... but it runs! I just got a 1993 F350 CCLB, E4OD, non turbo. Right now the top of the motor is takin apart. Basically everything above the plenum. Fuel lines, intake, glow plug wires and what i think is the relay/controller. I'm planning on popping the heads off, having a look, and putting new head gaskets on it. Can I swap the turbo over to this non turbo truck? Are the injectors, cam, valves, etc different or is it just a simple header and intake swap? Also since my E4OD belly pan is leaking I'd really like to get the ZF5 swapped over. Is this going to be super complicated if I have the trucks right next to eachother? Thanks for any help.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All the 6.9 and 7.3 block and heads are drilled the same. Only one difference is the 6.9 head bolts are 7/16 where the 7.3 is 1/2 inch. Otherwise everything is the same. The same goes for the internal parts. All the cam gears as the cams are the same be it turbo or not. Only the piston size is different. The factory turbo engine and piston pins that are 33mm where all the other pins are 28mm. Its true having both trucks side by side will make the swap easier. It might be an easier job to remove the cab and bed to do the swap. That way you are not working under the trucks.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm not up on all of these trucks, but it may be that the pedal assembly is different between the '88 and '93. Not sure.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pedals do not swap along with the wiring.
Need a like for like donor.

BC4Lyphe

Reaction score
If the 93 is a CCLB E4OD and the 88 is a SCLB ZF5 how can I do the trans swap? What is the difference in driveshaft lengths? The junkyard has very slim pickings :dunno

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the 93 is a CCLB E4OD and the 88 is a SCLB ZF5 how can I do the trans swap? What is the difference in driveshaft lengths? The junkyard has very slim pickings :dunno
Are they 4x4 or 2 wheel drive?

If they're 4x4, measure the two transmissions from the bellhousing-to-block bolts to the transfer case mounting flange. If they're the same, you won't need to do any driveshaft work...just keep the transfer case that's on the truck (it'll bolt to either transmission) and you should be good to go ;Sweet

If they're 2 wheel drive, the same applies with the transmission lengths, but the trans output shaft yokes may be different sizes, so you may have to use a special U-joint. IIRC they exist on the shelf, so it's just a matter of sourcing one.

There's an expansion joint in the driveshaft that can take up SOME of the slack, but IIRC it can't take much...maybe an inch, but I'm not 100% certain on the exact number. Any more than that, and you're going to have to resize driveshafts.

If one's a 2 wheel drive and the other's a 4x4, you have a problem. Converting a 2WD transmission to accept a married transfer case is not practical; ditto vice-versa If the '93 is a 2 wheel drive and the '88's a 4x4, you could leave the transfer case bolted to the transmission and either use it as a 2LOW setting, or leave it in 2H and not install shift linkage at all. If the '93 is a 4x4 and the '88 is a 2 wheel drive, you're either going to need to find a 2WD ZF or get a divorced transfer case, and do custom driveshaft work. Not insurmountable, but not simple, either.

As noted before, the '87-'91 and '92-'97 pedal assemblies are different enough that you're going to need to find a manual transmission pedal assembly from a '92-'97 truck. They were still available from Ford a couple of years ago, but they may have since been discontinued. The good news is, everything else (clutch hydraulics, floor pan insert, etc) should swap right over...

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found it easier to put the driveline in any way after the swap and measure the additional length needed on a reg cab vs trying to measure the trans. Had the drive line supported when taking the measurement and went down to the driveline shop and had the rear re-tubed and front cut down. The nearest yard did not have one either. C-6 drive lines will work too if you can find a donor truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726