Sub-Zero cold start video

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6pRBdNImkM The key cylinder sticks when it's nice and cold,that's why I keep messing with it, and the heater won't come on unless the key is in "that" spot. Pic of some firewood too

Attachments

• truck loaded 013.JPG
    truck loaded 013.JPG
    405.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might try glowing her a little longer and she might have started first try. When it's really cold out, I'll glow mine for 10 seconds to get it to light.

mR

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea definitely cycle them plugs longer than that. In that cold you could do 14 seconds easy. You did half of that. I'd much rather do one single long cycle than having to do several cycles. When you do several cycles like that it's hard to calculate just exactly how hard you're being on the plugs. But I guess you have to keep in mind that you need the good glow plugs to cycle them that long. If you have autolites or something other than Beru's you'll fry them cycling them longer than 10 seconds. Hell I had one new autolite I found on the shelf in the garage that I ran a test on and it only went 6 seconds before it fried.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
If it does not start within a couple seconds of cranking stop and cycle your glow plugs again. Trust me you will get it started allot quicker this way. Its what I have to do everyday because my ip is leaking down over night.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea definitely cycle them plugs longer than that. In that cold you could do 14 seconds easy. You did half of that. I'd much rather do one single long cycle than having to do several cycles. When you do several cycles like that it's hard to calculate just exactly how hard you're being on the plugs. But I guess you have to keep in mind that you need the good glow plugs to cycle them that long. If you have autolites or something other than Beru's you'll fry them cycling them longer than 10 seconds. Hell I had one new autolite I found on the shelf in the garage that I ran a test on and it only went 6 seconds before it fried.
I have beru's on the front half, gonna do the back half on saturday, I guess I could of cycled them twice or maybe a lil longer, The PO, so far, had two different kinds in there. The last two I pulled were AC 8G 10.5v (not swollen) and two were junk autolites both swollen -cuss. even though the ACs aren't swelled up I still want to have the ZD1s all around cause everybody swears by them.after I do the other four I'll do another cold start video if it get's that cold again. Thanks for the advice ;Sweet

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has Berus in it and the GP controller will run them 10 - 14 seconds on its own right now before i go to start it up. But it still takes a few seconds before it will crank over.