Stupid easy way to setup centrifuge tank setup

Discussion in 'BioDiesel & Alternative Fuels' started by Sidewinded_idi, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Sidewinded_idi

Sidewinded_idi Full Access Member

wanted to share my setup for centrifuging oil. The tank is a 52 gallon aluminum tank off a reefer trailer. Perfect because it's lightweight (15 lbs) the sending unit hole is the same exact size as the 55gph fuge hole, and it has two 1/2 npt ports on top. One is an open hole and the other has a pickup tube that runs to the very bottom.

My setup uses the 1/2 npt pickup tube port for the feed line. And the other port will be my bypass return. I ordered a 1/2hp motor and pump as my drill press isn't quite powerful enough. It only generates 50psi all in but it still pulls a lot of crud out! You can do it way cheaper without using an fittings and line but I wanted it to be Bullet proof. The tank was 50$ off craigslist but it's the perfect setup for fuging oil. Only modification I had to do was drill four holes and ran an m8x1.25 tap so I could bolt the filter directly to the tank. When running it sucks from the bottom and returns to the top and doesn't require any welding or heavy tooling!
    IMG_3100.JPG IMG_3101.JPG IMG_3103.JPG IMG_3104.JPG IMG_3105.JPG

2. Sidewinded_idi

IMG_3106.JPG IMG_3107.JPG IMG_3109.JPG IMG_3113.JPG IMG_3114.JPG

Coopons and Kiwif150 like this.
  3. Sidewinded_idi

My oil pump I got from G&J aircraft, they supply military surplus and take off aviation parts. It was brand new but probably 50 years old. Got it for 20 bucks. If you have a store like that around check them out I find lots of good things in there. They are in Ontario ca, since I ordered an orberdorfer pump/motor combo idk what I'll end up using this gear pump for. It'll move serious oil had anyone made one run off a pulley or know if they make an adapter to go from the pumps spline to a motors keyed drive?

4. subway

subway be nice to the admin :D

Very nice set up. For a pump I just used a honda power steering pump since it has no reservoir and run it with a 1/3 hp electric motor. It will run at 90 psi for hours with no problem.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Kiwif150 likes this.
  5. Sidewinded_idi

How did you couple it to the motor? I was going to do the exact same thing but since I ordered the motor / pump already it's simply out of curiosity

6. subway

subway be nice to the admin :D

With a belt, it's not direct. Sorry it needs a good cleaning. I have not used it in a while.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Coopons likes this.
  7. Sidewinded_idi

Here's a short video of it running. I like the ps pump setup!

Coopons likes this.
  8. Sidewinded_idi

First run on my wmo from stuff I already ran through my 5 micron! Ran for an hour
    IMG_3129.JPG IMG_3130.JPG IMG_3131.JPG IMG_3132.JPG

Kiwif150, Coopons and shawn deere like this.
  9. dieselfollower

dieselfollower Registered User

This looks like a solid simple setup, how many passes do you run? What do you blend with to thin the oil?

I've been putting off running oil for a long time. I have the 65 gph centrifuge setup from PA W/ 1/3 hp motor, gear pump and basic hoses, fittings and valves. Id much rather blend than heat, but is ethanol gas ok to blend with? I'd like to start really small scale, like 5 gal. pale at a time. That way I can watch it for an hour or so and it run 12 passes or so in that hour.

10. Sidewinded_idi

This tank holds 60 gallons to the top. I just cut it with whatever 87 is at the local gas station. I over filter and usually let my 65gph centrifuge run the tank for 2 days

11. Sidewinded_idi

No heating

12. dieselfollower

How does power feel compared to D2? Some people say it becomes a turd yet others say it's stronger?

At what point do you think the amount of electricity used to run the fuge starts to eat a lot of the money saved by running oil?

13. Sidewinded_idi

A long ways away. It’s a 1/2hp electric motor so the consumption is minimal. As for power I always had a very slight increase

14. dieselfollower

Thank you

15. Sidewinded_idi

Update, bought a new house so now making a dedicated fuel room. My processing take I’ve now added a second centrifuge too and this will let me have it done quite a bit faster and transferred to my clean storage tank
    08EB887C-159B-4B5F-B857-8F159D4B04B4.jpeg F7566C40-670A-49C4-941E-9FE66FD65CFC.jpeg BF9E03A4-FC90-4EC0-81E9-E046F6D74BD2.jpeg

Kiwif150 and mu2bdriver like this.