Stuck on water pump change

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one that had red loctite on the threads. Only way I could get it off was by sacrificing a wrench I used to bolt in between the accessory bracket and the back of the pulley with a longer nut and bolt. Then I used my big channel locks and man handled the nut until it came loose.
I sheared a couple bolts doing it this way, but eventually broke it loose.
You must be registered for see images attach

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
My autozone has 2 different kits, they had that one. Which I didn't get, and they had a second one, that was all solid spanners....

This is the kit I used....

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-too...h/powerbuilt-fan-clutch-wrench-set/536932_0_0

The only bad part is the spanner to go over the bolts on the pulley is flat, and the V-Belt pulley stick out in front of the bolts a bit. That's why it was easier for one person to hold the spanner on the bolts, and I ran the wrench/breaker bar on the nut.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Yrs ago I took a stick of 2 1/2" x 3/8" steel flatbar, about 24", and torched & ground out my own open end wrench. IIRC about 1 7/8" openend. Worked with a big hammer.
If nut rounded off then pipe wrench or big channel lock pliers. Good luck!

BTW, I kept my homemade wrench around for years hanging on the wall, painted "SNAP ON" on it for the heck of it! LOL LOL

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been working late all week and finally am getting back to this this evening. Your trick worked! Along with a 6’ cheater pipe and all 155 lbs of me lol! When I pulled the pump, there is a lot more corrosion than I am used to seeing. Is this normal for these engines or do I need to be concerned about longevity?

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01