Stuck on water pump change

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My water pump went out in my 1993 F350. I finally made it back home and now have the pump, thermostat, etc. The nut for my fan clutch is seized and I can’t seem to hold the pulley still enough to hammer it off. I’ve sprayed it with kroil, tried renting the pulley tool from auto zone, using a pry bar to tension the serpentine belt, using a strap wrench on the pulley, and loosening a couple of pulley bolts and using a screwdriver between them. I do not have an air compressor or torch. Any other ideas? I know it is left hand thread and am going the correct way.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also want to not that the nut is already chewed up so I think whoever was the last one doing it over torqued it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Youre going to need to heat up the nut, and keep the pulley from turning with a prybar or a wrench. The threads are reverse, so righty loosey.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll see if I can borrow a torch from work tomorrow. I was just hoping there was something else I can try today.

PROFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What worked for me (after I put locktite blue on it):eek: was leave belts on and tighten belt with breaker bar on tension pulley, beat hell out of wrench on 1-7/8" (not 48mm as in autozone rental tool set) nut. If rounded use pipe wrench on it. Thought about tack welding flat bar to nut if grounded correctly to keep current out of engine but did not need to. Torch might work since water pump seal shot anyway. I found autozone 48mm tool chewed up due to overtorque or wrong way so used 18" HF crescent on couple nut flats that had not rounded off yet. Good luck.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Illl pick me up a wrench tomorrow as well as auto zone’s tool definitely doesn’t fit right lol!

PROFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find it hard to push on one wrench and pull on other, like I did, try tying one down over fender to tie rod and pulling on breaker with both hands. I did not put locktite on when reinstalling last time :rolleyes:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I used the auto zone kit, but it looked almost new....

What I had to do was have my oldest hold the "spanner" over the 4 pulley bolts with a 1/2 drive ratchet so it would stay straight, and his only task was to stand there and hold the spanner/ratchet. I put the large 48mm open end wrench on the nut, and then placed my 20" breaker bar in the 1/2 drive hole in the open end wrench. I started putting tension on the wrench, and he kept pressure on the spanner. Once all the slack was out of the wrenches, I gave a good tug on the breaker bar, and it popped apart. The key for me was 2 people, doing just the one specific task. I fought and fought trying to run both wrenches.

PROFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two wrenches with one slipping off was a pain. Managed to wedge some foam insulation between clutch and one on bolt heads to hold in place while holding tension on nut and beating on wrench, first time with Oreillys wrenches. Next time with Autozone set it started rounding off nut due to wear so used HF 18" crescent tied to tie rod and "fork" with breaker over nuts, easy.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... I tried heating the nut with the torch and used a 3’ cheater pipe on both the wrench and the screwdriver and the nut never budged.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach